This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1884 / 52°11'18"N
Longitude: 1.131 / 1°7'51"E
OS Eastings: 614117
OS Northings: 259079
OS Grid: TM141590
Mapcode National: GBR TL3.QS3
Mapcode Global: VHLB6.K887
Entry Name: Chevers Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279415
Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal
Built-Up Area: Stonham Aspal
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 15 NW
(Formerly listed as The Laurels)
Former farmhouse, C16 in 3 phases. 2 storeys. 3-cell plan, with an
additional service cross-wing added c.1600. Timber-framed and plastered: the
early C16 hall range is long-wall jettied towards the front with exposed
joist- ends, and the girth beneath is moulded and embattled. The parlour
block of c.1500 (not integral with hall range) is end-jettied with brackets
and moulded pilaster-shafts. Plaintiled roofs with two C17/C18 axial chimneys
of red brick. Various C19/C20 small-pane casements, and a C19 small-pane sash
in the parlour. C19 gabled porch of painted brick, with pantiled roof and
spike bargeboard finial. Panelled C19 door, the upper panels glazed. Some
high-quality framing exposed internally: in the hall are scotia-moulded beams
and joists, the central posts having a pair of mutilated moulded capitals
beneath which were once a pair of carved figures (perhaps angels), one having
been totally destroyed. The parlour block is of similar quality, with a
massive arch-braced tie-beam in the chamber, the braces rising from pilasters.
A blocked 4-centred arched service-room doorway. The additional service
cross-wing of c.1600 reuses a plain crownpost roof of C14 or early C15 origin.
Clasped-purlin roof over hall range. The house stands just to the south of a
medieval homestead moat.
Listing NGR: TM1411759079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings