This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1918 / 52°11'30"N
Longitude: 1.119 / 1°7'8"E
OS Eastings: 613283
OS Northings: 259430
OS Grid: TM132594
Mapcode National: GBR TL3.FRZ
Mapcode Global: VHLB6.B5YK
Entry Name: Broughton Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279438
Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
STONHAM ASPAL STOWMARKET ROAD
TM 15 NW
- Broughton Hall
Farmhouse, formerly manor house; c.1600 with early C19 remodelling. Timber-
framed and plastered with good C18 and C19 cable-pattern pargetting in panels.
Plaintiled roof with external chimneys of red brick; the C17 parlour and hall
chimneys have rebuilt twin diagonally set shafts; at the bases of both stacks
are external arched niches of uncertain purpose but with the appearance of
seats. 2 storeys and attics. 3-cell lobby and cross-passage entrance plan,
both end cells being of cross-wing form. Early C19 small-pane sashes; that to
the hall has side-lights and that to the parlour is twinned. Early C19
entrance doorways at both lobby entrance and cross-passage positions; 4-
panelled doors, with upper panels glazed, and a cornice on console brackets.
The main range has ovolo-moulded main beams; close studding and unchamfered
exposed floor joists in the parlour. Wind-braced butt-purlin roof over the
parlour, the remainder almost rebuilt after a fire c.1930. Full-height newel
staircase with good moulded plank door at landing. The service cross-wing was
added early or mid C17 to replace an earlier range; it includes a bakehouse
and, formerly, a dairy which was rebuilt c.1930.
Listing NGR: TM1328359430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings