This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1911 / 52°11'28"N
Longitude: 1.1217 / 1°7'18"E
OS Eastings: 613472
OS Northings: 259361
OS Grid: TM134593
Mapcode National: GBR TL3.NF7
Mapcode Global: VHLB6.D6C3
Entry Name: Auberies
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279447
Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
STONHAM ASPAL THE STREET (SOUTH)
TM 15 NW
- Auberies (formerly listed
9-12-55 as Auberies Cottage)
House, built in 2 stages: a late C15 parlour cross-wing of 2 storeys, and a
C16 hall range of one storey with attics to left. Timber-framed and
plastered; the upper floor of the cross-wing is end-jettied towards the street
with exposed joist-ends and four chamfered brackets beneath; the girth beneath
the jetty is moulded and embattled. Thatched roof with chimney of red brick;
a C16/C17 shaft, almost rebuilt in C19. A C19 gabled casement dormer, the
bargeboards having pierced cusping along the soffit (similar bargeboards to
the cross-wing gable). Small-pane casements. C20 boarded entrance door. The
cross-wing has good and complete exposed C15 framing; close-studding and
massive unchamfered floor joists. A blocked 4-centred arched parlour doorway.
2 bay crownpost roof, the central post being octagonal but without a capital;
2-way plank braces. The hall range was built in mid or late C16, apparently
on the site of an earlier hall. The large C16 open fireplace in the hall
seems not to be contemporary with the upper floor of heavy unchamfered joists;
perhaps the hall was built open, but with a fireplace, and floored-over later.
Arch-braced studwork to this range. A painted plaster panel in the hall bears
a shield with the name Aspal beneath; a second panel has a rose emblem,
restored. Both are possibly of late C16 origin.
Listing NGR: TM1348059344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings