History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hines Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2091 / 52°12'32"N

Longitude: 1.0786 / 1°4'42"E

OS Eastings: 610439

OS Northings: 261226

OS Grid: TM104612

Mapcode National: GBR TKV.HHV

Mapcode Global: VHL9Z.NQ2X

Entry Name: Hines Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033186

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279360

Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Earl

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Gipping

Listing Text

EARL STONHAM MIDDLEWOOD GREEN
TM 16 SW
2/111 Hines Farmhouse
-
- II

Former farmhouse, built in 2 stages: mid C16 and c.1570. 2 storeys, 3-cell
cross-passage entrance plan. Timber framed and plastered. Pantiled roof with
axial chimney of red brick. Mainly c.1970 small-pane casements; some c.1570
diamond-mullioned windows are exposed and glazed. Glazed C20 entrance door at
gable end. The hall and parlour cells are of one build, c.1570 : quite
complete unmoulded framing and back-to-back open lintelled fireplaces in hall
and parlour. Widely-spaced studwork without visible bracing, and wind-braced
clasped-purlin roof with reduced principals. Until c.1970, the twin service
doorways had heads with shallow ogee arches. The service cell is of early or
mid C16, with arch-braced studwork and heavy unchamfered floor joists (now
concealed); coupled-rafter roof, with evidence for both a half-hip, and a
secondary queen-post system. This cell was remodelled (or perhaps reassembled)
c.1600, but is certainly of earlier origin. English Vernacular Houses: E.
Mercer, 1972. N.M.R.


Listing NGR: TM1043961226

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.