This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1687 / 52°10'7"N
Longitude: 1.0473 / 1°2'50"E
OS Eastings: 608492
OS Northings: 256649
OS Grid: TM084566
Mapcode National: GBR TLD.1LN
Mapcode Global: VHLB5.3RKB
Entry Name: Grove Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279325
Location: Creeting St. Peter or West Creeting, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Creeting St. Peter or West Creeting
Locality: Creeting St Peter or West Creeting
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Creeting St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
CREETING ST.PETER MILL LANE
TM 05 NE
- Grove Farmhouse
Farmhouse; late-C16 or early-C17, extended and refaced mid-C19. C20 additions. Timber-framed, mostly rendered and painted, but with a local gault brick (Woolpit Whites) south-east façade. The windows are uPVC/aluminium. The south-east slope of the roof is covered in clay tiles, but those to the north-west are concrete.
PLAN: This is a four-bay house of two stories with attics, with a one-and-a-half storey addition to the north-east gable end and small single-storey lean-to extension to the north-west elevation. The house has a lobby entry plan, with a porch in the main elevation to the second bay from the south-west opening onto the central stack.
EXTERIOR: A brick chimney emerges through the ridge of the steeply pitched roof, which has been extended slightly over the C19 brick façade. Immediately below the eaves are bricks laid to form a dentilled cornice, a pattern which is repeated in the ground-floor windows of this elevation below the moulded wooden lintels. The fenestration here is regular, with a central dormer window and four first-floor sash windows above four ground-floor openings; two of these are windows and one a replacement French window, while the fourth is the main entrance. The south-west gable end has two modern windows, one to the attic, and patio doors. The windows to the north-west are irregularly spaced and smaller, while those to the north-east addition originally had segmental arches.
INTERIOR: The ground-floor of the interior is divided into three main spaces, but with part of the central space taken for the staircase and entrance hall, the latter now open to the modern lean-to extension. All three spaces contain central axial stop-chamfered beams supporting joists. Jowled posts support transverse beams, and regularly spaced studs are visible in the external walls of the central and south-west rooms (except for the rebuilt south-west gable end wall); some studs are replacements. The south-west living room contains a large rebuilt brick fireplace with bressumer constructed from a reclaimed timber, but the fireplace in the central dining room is of plain modern brick construction.
The wall studs of a section of the north-east external wall have been removed to incorporate the new lean-to addition into the original house. However, all first- floor studs remain, but with the upper half between the studs open to form a balcony along this length of the landing. The first-floor also contains three main spaces, two of which have been subdivided to form bathrooms. The wall plate is supported on jowled posts, originally braced to tie beams. The mullions of an early window are preserved in the north-west wall of the south-east room.
The attics are lined with plasterboard. In the storage space to either side original rafters (supplemented by newer additions) and purlins are visible.
HISTORY: Grove Farmhouse is an early C17 house re-fronted and extended in the C19 and C20. OS maps of 1884 and 1927 show that the main body of the house was then the same width as it is now, with a porch of the same dimensions as the present porch, suggesting the new front elevation was probably added in about the mid-C19. The one-and-a-half storey extension to the north-east is also present on the 1884 map, which also shows an extension to the south half of the north-west elevation. This was enlarged in the C20, and was the predecessor to the present but smaller late-C20 lean-to, built when the house was renovated in 1987. The south-west wall was also rebuilt following its collapse in the course of this work. Other work undertaken at this time included the replacement of the existing crittal casements with modern sash windows, and some re-ordering of the interior plan. The external door in the lean-to is now the main entrance to the house; the porch and lobby to the south-east of the central stack form a small office accessible from the dining room to the north-west.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: Grove Farmhouse, a late-C16 or early-C17 vernacular building, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: It is of special architectural and historical interest as a substantially intact timber frame building that retains a significant proportion of its original fabric.
* Plan: It retains its essential lobby-entrance plan form.
* Group Value: It forms part of a landscape of dispersed farmsteads, and has group value with three other listed late-C16 or early-C17 farmhouses.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings