History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Myrtle Cottage with Attached Shop and Former Smithy

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1882 / 52°11'17"N

Longitude: 1.0971 / 1°5'49"E

OS Eastings: 611802

OS Northings: 258964

OS Grid: TM118589

Mapcode National: GBR TL2.VJT

Mapcode Global: VHLB5.Y8VB

Entry Name: Myrtle Cottage with Attached Shop and Former Smithy

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279331

Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Earl

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

EARL STONHAM ANGEL HILL
TM 15 NW
5/82 Myrtle Cottage with
- attached shop and former
smithy
- II

House with attached disused shop and smithy. An oval cartouche at upper
storey has the plaster date 1745 with initials "C" above and "+M" below; this
is the probable construction date, but a cross-wing to left has many reused
C15 components. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and roughcast. Plaintiled roof;
the cross-wing is pantiled. Axial and end chimneys of red brick. C20 small-
pane casements. Boarded C19 entrance door at side. The main range has fully
exposed timber-framing of c.1745; the wing also has exposed framing, but has
massive reused unchamfered floor joists and principal posts and tie-beams,
etc, all of C15 workmanship. A fireplace has a very deep reused C16 cambered
lintel. The pantiled shop and smithy attached to left has a timber framed
core of c.1745 or perhaps earlier, but was remodelled in C19. The shop has a
C19 boarded entrance door and a small-paned shop window; this range was in
poor condition at date of survey.


Listing NGR: TM1180258964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.