This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1875 / 52°11'14"N
Longitude: 1.0821 / 1°4'55"E
OS Eastings: 610779
OS Northings: 258839
OS Grid: TM107588
Mapcode National: GBR TL1.Y45
Mapcode Global: VHLB5.P8XX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033223
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279350
Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Earl
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 15 NW
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Parish church, medieval with major phases of mid C14 and early C16.
Restoration of 1874. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch
and west tower. Flint rubble, mainly plastered, with freestone dressings.
Nave roof slated, chancel roof concrete plaintiled, other roofs mainly leaded;
parapet gables throughout. Some C13 fabric in chancel including a lancet in
north wall. Double-bowl piscina is possibly C14 but reusing late C13 bowls; a
pair of sedilia have a crouching hound between them, and another chancel
window is also of c.1300. Major rebuilding of nave and addition of transepts
and porch in mid C14. The porch has an image niche, and moulded cornice and
bargeboards. A number of 2-light C14 windows, some with individual tracery; a
priest's doorway north and south nave doorways, and large east and west
windows. Fine tower of c.1500: flushwork tracery to the buttresses, plinth
and parapets; good west doorway with traceried doors; the C14 west window is
reused above it. In early C16 a clerestory was formed above the nave, with
more flushwork tracery between the windows and at the parapets. Very fine 10-
bay hammer-beam nave roof, richly carved and moulded throughout, alternate
trusses have true or false beams, the former carved as angels, the latter
having pendentive posts with carved bosses. Figures in canopied niches are at
each wallpost. Chancel roof plainer and much restored in C19. C15 octagonal
limestone font; alternate faces of bowl have figures and emblems. Octagonal
pulpit, temp. James II, with strapwork-enriched arcading. The C19 choirstalls
incorporate C15 tracery from rood-screen, as well as 4 fine bench ends with
carved figures. 6 poppyhead pews, also C15, are included in C19 nave seating.
A fine painted doom over the chancel arch; another painting in south transept
(damaged). Others found in north transept in C19 were destroyed during
rebuilding but recorded on paintings in the church. Some fragments of C14
glass. For details of nave roof and its imagery, The Fool in Medieval Church
and Plays: Suffolk Review, April 1985: Timothy Easton. Suffolk Churches: H.
Munroe Cautley, 1937.
Listing NGR: TM1077958839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings