History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yewtree House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1976 / 52°11'51"N

Longitude: 1.0687 / 1°4'7"E

OS Eastings: 609815

OS Northings: 259922

OS Grid: TM098599

Mapcode National: GBR TL1.700

Mapcode Global: VHLB5.G1T4

Entry Name: Yewtree House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033226

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279355

Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Earl

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

TM 05 NE
4/106

EARL STONHAM
FORWARD GREEN
Yewtree House

9-12-55

II*
House; early C15 with alterations of c.1600. A 3-cell open-hall house. 1
storey and attics. Timber-framed and plastered; the C16 set-forward wing to
left has good cable-pattern pargetting in large panels. Half-hipped thatched
roof with axial and internal end chimneys of red brick. One gabled thatched
casement dormer. C19 small-pane casements. Two C18 or early C19 boarded
entrance doors. An unusually complete example of a medieval house: The
cross-entry has unaltered twin 4-centred arched service doorways and massive
rear 2-centred arched entrance doorway. From the cross-entry also leads the
original staircase of triangular blocks with clap-boarded partition. Complete
coupled-rafter roofs exposed in all 3 cells. Blocked open hall windows
leaving evidence for square mullions. Widely-spaced heavy studwork with
convex arched wind-bracing. The arch-braced tie beam has been removed from
the centre of the hall, and a heavy 1st floor structure with chamfered joists
inserted, together with a large chimney against the upper end of the hall, all
in late C16. A wing was added to the front of the parlour cell also in C16,
of 2 bays, with a cross-entry and end chimney. It is almost entirely of
reused medieval timber, some of which is of c.1300 or earlier. Both wall
plates have redundant notched-lap joints of this period, but the open truss is
probably later; it has a strongly cambered tie-beam with heavy chamfered
braces, both perhaps of C15 origin. Complete set of rafters from a coupled-
rafter roof.

Included as grade II* because a good and exceptionally little-
altered example of a rural C15 house.


Listing NGR: TM0981559922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.