History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Needham Lodge and Attached Screen Walls Pavilions

A Grade II Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1455 / 52°8'43"N

Longitude: 1.0828 / 1°4'58"E

OS Eastings: 611027

OS Northings: 254171

OS Grid: TM110541

Mapcode National: GBR TLM.JKY

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.QB9L

Entry Name: Needham Lodge and Attached Screen Walls Pavilions

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279286

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

CODDENHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 15 SW
7/38 Nos. 1 and 2, Needham
- Lodge, and attached screen
walls and pavilions
- II

Pair of gatelodges at mouth of west entrance drive to Shrubland Park. Circa
1870, for Sir W.F. Middleton, Bart. In the Italianate manner. A central
carriage gateway is surmounted by an Italianate tower and flanked by a pair of
single-storey lodges. Gault brick with heavily rusticated quoins. Deeply
oversailing Roman pantiled roofs with heavy widely-spaced modillions. Rear
chimneys of gault brick. Each lodge has a small-pane sash window with broad
limestone frame and cornice. The central archway has a limestone arch with
giant voussoirs: the keystone is delicately carved with the Middleton coat of
arms. A pair of wrought iron gates with scrolled ornament at the head of
each. Over the gateway is a gabled roof; and set back is the square tower,
with twin recessed open arches on columns at each face; shallow pryamid roof.
Semi-elliptical screen walls of gault brick about 2.5m high are attached to
either flank; limestone copings and piers behind, expressed by block quoins.
Each screen is terminated by a solid square pavilion about 3.5m high: gault
brick with block quoins; a coved niche is lined with ashlar stonework;
pyramidal Roman pantiled roof with a limestone eaves cornice and a ball
finial.


Listing NGR: TM1102754171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.