History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shrubland Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1344 / 52°8'4"N

Longitude: 1.1076 / 1°6'27"E

OS Eastings: 612777

OS Northings: 253015

OS Grid: TM127530

Mapcode National: GBR TLV.4V2

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.4MX3

Entry Name: Shrubland Old Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279288

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

TM 15 SW
7/39

CODDENHAM
SHRUBLAND PARK
Shrubland Old Hall

9-12-55

II
House; at date of survey an annexe to the Shrubland Hall clinic. Main range
of mid C19. Cross-wing at south-east end was formerly the early C16 chapel
attached to the north-west end of Shrubland Old Hall (the latter demolished
early C19). Main range:- Gault brick. Slated roofs; axial chimney of gault
brick with paired octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. 2 storeys and
attics. Painted stone mullioned windows mainly of 3 lights; those flanking
the entrance doorway have linking hoodmould. Panelled door. Cross-wing:-
stuccoed masonry with shallow corner pilasters, and plain eaves cornice to
slated roof (all part of an early C19 remodelling). Fine terracotta windows
of c.1520, one in each gable. The west window is mullioned and transomed, the
upper lights having arabesque heads: Each member has extensive enrichment;
one armourial shield is believed that of Margaret, wife of Sir Philip Booth
(assessed here in subsidy of 1524). Compare south window of Henley Church,
also Barham and Barking. Roof of chapel is of early C16 butt-purlin type.
One room has a plaster frieze of Catherine wheels and other emblems of C16
form. A drawing by P. Higham from a late C18 original by Humphry Repton shows
a C13 or C14 2-light window with quatrefoil and hoodmould in the north-west
wall; the chapel appears from this to have a medieval core, and to have
received a gallery at the south west end in C16.


Listing NGR: TM1277753015

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.