History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Sorrel Horse Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Barham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1206 / 52°7'14"N

Longitude: 1.1033 / 1°6'11"E

OS Eastings: 612545

OS Northings: 251467

OS Grid: TM125514

Mapcode National: GBR TM1.3R3

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.2YMP

Entry Name: The Sorrel Horse Inn

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033250

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279206

Location: Barham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Barham

Built-Up Area: Sharpstone Street

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

BARHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 15 SW
3/13 The Sorrel Horse Inn
-
- II
Public house, late C15 or early C16 with alterations of C17 and mid C19. A 3-
cell open hall house with cross-passage entrance. 2 storeys and attics.
Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with a C19 gabled casement
dormer. A C17 axial chimney of red brick; another at the left-hand gable was
largely rebuilt in C18/C19. Mid C19 sashes, those at the ground floor having
small panes and hinged panelled external shutters. A single storey C19
parapetted extension at the front has similar windows. C19 entrance doorway
in the cross-passage position has a mid C20 battened oak door. The open hall
was built in 2 unequal bays. Twin doorways with altered 4-centred arched
heads led to che service rooms to left, which were later united. The open
truss has a cambered tie-beam with evidence for large arch braces - these have
gone but the supporting shaft for one of them is visible in the bar. The hall
roof is smoke-blackened from the open hearth. A crown-post system remains
over the parlour cell, but has been removed from the hall roof (if it
existed). Arch-braced close-studwork and large unmoulded 1st floor joists are
exposed at the ena cells. A chimney was inserted between the hall and parlour
and an upper floor over the hall, in C17. A rear service wing and an outshut
were added in C18 or C19.


Listing NGR: TM1254551467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.