History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Top Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Baylham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1135 / 52°6'48"N

Longitude: 1.0668 / 1°4'0"E

OS Eastings: 610082

OS Northings: 250571

OS Grid: TM100505

Mapcode National: GBR TM0.DJV

Mapcode Global: VHLBK.F4TL

Entry Name: Hill Top Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033257

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279228

Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Baylham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

TM 15 SW
3/35

BAYLHAM
Hill Top Farmhouse

GV
II
House, formerly farmhouse. C15, with alterations of c.1621 (date carved on
building). A 3-cell open hall house with a queen-post roof: this type is
occasionally found in north-east Suffolk, but is very rare in medieval
domestic buildings elsewhere in the county. 1 storey and attics. Timber-
framed and plastered; a little C18 rope-pattern pargetting survives. Thatched
roof with gabled casement dormers; these have carved gable tie-beams, one with
"1621.H.H.:H.H.1621" This is the assumed date of the alterations described
below. Chimneys of red brick; the axial and north gable stacks are C17, the
south stack with ovens is of c.1800. Various small-pane casements, mainly
C19. One C17 ovolo-moulded mullioned window; another is complete but blocked.
Boarded entrance door with C20 gabled open porch on posts. The nucleus of the
house has a 2-bay open hall, heavily smoke-blackened, with widely-spaced arch-
braced studwork. Each closed truss has a pair of queen-posts supporting a
collar upon which large square-set purlins are lodged and supported by arch-
braces. The open truss has a cambered collar above jowled queen-posts; the
large arch-braces, the bottoms of the posts and the rest of the truss were
removed in C17. The roof is otherwise without collars and has a ridge-piece,
another rare feature, normally only found in N.E. Suffolk in this context. An
original service cell survives, with lodged upper floor. A further cell was
added to each end of the building with clasped purlin roofs, c.1621; also an
inserted floor in the hall with ovolo-moulded joists. The inserted chimney
backing against the cross-passage may be earlier. A chamber ceiling has C17
vine-scroll -plastering along the central beam. Formerly known as Harrow
Farmhouse.


Listing NGR: TM1008250571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.