History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Baylham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1222 / 52°7'20"N

Longitude: 1.0695 / 1°4'10"E

OS Eastings: 610228

OS Northings: 251547

OS Grid: TM102515

Mapcode National: GBR TLT.TFP

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.HX8G

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279232

Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Baylham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

TM 15 SW
3/39

BAYLHAM
Church Lane
Church of St. Peter

9.12.55

II*

Church, medieval. Nave, chancel and west tower. The chancel was heavily
remodelled, and two transepts and south porch were added 1870, in the
Decorated style. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roof with
parapet gable. The north nave doorway (now blocked) is of an unusual form,
probably C11: a deep lintel sits upon square jambs, and above it is a round
arch. The tympanum has a scratched diaperwork pattern framed by an arched
raised band. An early C14 pointed window in south aisle wall with matching
restored piscina. Later C14 traceried south nave window. Plain late C14
tower with lion-head gargoyles, 2-light belfry openings and west window, and
splayed ringing chamber windows of red brick. C15 coupled-rafter nave and
chancel roofs, canted, and with unusual cavetto-moulded eaves sprockets. In
1870 moulded crownposts were set upon the existing nave tie-beams, and both
roofs were ceiled with boarding. In the north nave wall are two windows of
c.1500. Fine C15 octagonal limestone font with sunk panels on the bowl
bearing roses, lions and angels; the stem has lion figures, seated at each
angle. Set into the north chancel wall is a fine C17 monument to John and
Elizabeth Acton. Their kneeling effigies are overshadowed by the skeletal
figure of Death and beneath are their 5 children. In the chancel floor is a
series of 6 good marble floor slabs with achievements all to late C17 and
early C18 members of the Acton family. In the nave floor is another slab of
1689.


Listing NGR: TM1022851547

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.