This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1323 / 52°7'56"N
Longitude: 1.085 / 1°5'6"E
OS Eastings: 611242
OS Northings: 252709
OS Grid: TM112527
Mapcode National: GBR TLT.C3T
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.RNHR
Entry Name: Baylham Watermill and Mill House
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279238
Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Baylham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 15 SW
Baylham Watermill and Mill House
(Formerly listed as Baylham Mill)
Watermill and Mill House. The house is in 2 sections; early C16 or earlier,
and mid C19. A central 2-bay late-medieval block of 2 bays, and 2 storeys.
Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof. C18 casement with transome,
and hinged and boarded shutters; above is another with leaded glazing but
without shutters. Plank entrance door, perhaps of C16; the segmental arch
above and the flanking carved oak heads are both C16 work, but have been
introduced from elsewhere. 2 storey C19 range to left is of gault brick with
hippea slated roof. 4-panelled entrance door. Small-pane sashes.
The mill is of early or mid C19; 3 storeys, with storage bins in the 4th attic
storey. The ground storey is of red brick now painted. Timber-framed upper
storeys, weatherboarded: Plaintiled roofs. Small-paned sash and hopper
windows. Boarded doors. A 2-storey gabled weatherboarded hoist is
cantilevered on diagonal braces. At centre rear is a short full-height wing.
The main machinery is as follows:-
Cast iron breast-shoe waterwheel on iron shaft, driving a wooden lineshaft via
an all-iron pitwheel and pinion. 3 pairs of millstones on a hurst frame,
driven via 3 wooden compass-arm gearwheels mounted on the lineshaft (2 now
incomplete). 2 further pairs of stones could be driven by water or by the
auxiliary oil engine (by E.R. & F. Turner of Ipswich). All 5 pairs of scones
are complete with their furniture. Much ancillary machinery. The only
complete watermill on the River Gipping.
Listing NGR: TM1124252709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings