History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holbeck House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1453 / 52°8'42"N

Longitude: 1.1168 / 1°7'0"E

OS Eastings: 613354

OS Northings: 254244

OS Grid: TM133542

Mapcode National: GBR TLP.F5Z

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.9BSS

Entry Name: Holbeck House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279253

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Built-Up Area: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

CODDENHAM CHURCH ROAD
TM 1354
8/5 Holbeck House (formerly
-
9-12-55 listed as Holbeck)
GV II

House. C15 with alterations of early C17 and later. The major part of a 3-
cell open hall house; the remainder is now contained within the adjoining
house known as The Homeland. Timber-framed and pebble-dashed. Plaintiled roof
with one gabled casement dormer. An axial chimney of red brick. 2 storeys and
attics. C19 and C20 casements, most having small panes. C20 lean-to
plaintiled entrance porch with boarded door. The central 2-bay open hall has
an open crown-post truss; a cambered tie beam carries a chamfered square
crown-post with 4-way braces. Arch-braces beneath the tie-beam were deep and
met at the centre but are now removed; the wall-posts below retain polygonal
shafts. At the high end of the hall is a blocked 2-centred arched doorway
into the parlour cell, which has an original massive upper floor. Good arch-
braced close studding and other framing exposed. In C16 or early C17 a wide
hall fireplace was built backing onto the cross-passage, the latter now being
in the adjoining house. Beside the fireplace is an internal window with C17
splat balusters. An upper floor with on-edge joists was inserted into the
hall in C17. In 1220 a small cell of Cistercian Nuns was founded close to the
Church of St. Mary, and local tradition holds that the present house stands
upon that site.


Listing NGR: TM1335454244

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.