History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Parish Church of St Lawerence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barlow, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.2682 / 53°16'5"N

Longitude: -1.4854 / 1°29'7"W

OS Eastings: 434419

OS Northings: 374698

OS Grid: SK344746

Mapcode National: GBR LZ2N.65

Mapcode Global: WHDF8.43YW

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Lawerence

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79492

Location: Barlow, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Barlow

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Great Barlow

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 37 SQ
10/11 (West Side)
The Parish Church of
31.1.67 St Lawrence
Parish Church. Early C13, with additions and alterations C14
and C15, and neo-Romanesque chancel 1867, by S Rollinson. C20
furnishings. Ashlar and coursed rubble coal measures sandstone,
with quoins, coped gables with ball and cross finials, and stone
slated roofs. Nave with bell-cote, south porch and south aisle
chapel, and chancel with vestry to north wall. 6-bay nave with
blocked clerestorey lights to first bay, one square-headed, the
other a former C17 two-light window with segmental arched heads.
Bellcote with masonry west wall, with plain chamfered opening
and louvred shutter. This was enlarged to form a bell tower,
now with weather-boarded cheeks, and leaded ogree roof with a
wooden finial and a weathervane. Gable south porch with
copings, and a stepped and chamfered arch rising from moulded
imposts. Stone benches with wooden plank seats. The porch
encloses a C13 quoined doorway with a semi-circular arched head,
springing from plainly-moulded imposts. Above, a chamfered hood
mould, with a stone head set above it. Planked and studded
door, set into a panelled oak surround, with a semi-circular
head. A stone staircase rises to the east of the porch.
Transeptal south chapel beneath a monopitch extension to the
nave roof, with a 5 light Perp window, having plainly moulded
mullions with shallow ogree heads and diamond leaded lights.
Two-light Dec. pointed east window, the lights with trefoil
heads which support an apex quotrefoil. Remaining nave bay with
step to head of single pointed early Dec. 'Y' tracery window.
Blocked priests door, C13, with massive irregular quoins and
rounded ends to deep lintel. Shallow clasping buttress to
south-east corner. 2 bay neo-Romanesque nave, rising from a
plain stepped and chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses and two
plain C19 semi-circular headed windows with quoined and
chamfered surrounds. Clasping buttresses to east end which has
a tripartite window with semi-circular arched heads. Wheel
window above, to gable apex, with moulded spokes. Vestry with
C19 two-light window with semi-circular heads to lights and a
moulded column with a cushion capital. Plain buttresses to
north wall, and steps to plain basement doorway. Semi-circular
headed doorway to west wall. Nave north wall with a single
light square-headed window and a two-light window to the west
end with segmental heads. West window with tall chamfer
mullioned 4 light window with transoms beneath plain drip
moulds. Interior. Organ to west end, and above a C19 font,
with a circular bowl with foliage decoration, standing on a
moulded stem. Late C19 roof trusses. Window in nave north wall
retains medieval splayed reveals. Stepped chancel arch with a
roll moulding to the inner arch. Reset medieval piscina in
chancel wall, disturbed during demolition of earlier east end in
1967 as part of remodelling. C19 double seat and piscina in
south wall. Early C20 screens to chancel arch, and screen of
1938 to south aisle chapel. To the south side of the chancel
arch, taping stone slab, possibly a reset coffin cover, with
inscription in Norman french, and in Lombardic characters, in
memory of Julia, wife of Adam Francis d1250. Incised alabastor
slab, set against traseptal south chapel wall to Robert Barley
d.1467 and his wife (in fact buried at All Saints, Derby).
Hatchement and Charity boards by the south doorway.

Listing NGR: SK3441974698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.