This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3687 / 51°22'7"N
Longitude: -0.4305 / 0°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 509355
OS Northings: 164459
OS Grid: TQ093644
Mapcode National: GBR 35.J5B
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.HV9N
Entry Name: Ellesmere Hospital
Listing Date: 9 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471794
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT12
District Council Ward: Oatlands & Burwood Park
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Oatlands
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 SE WEYBRIDGE QUEENS ROAD
374/4/10032 Ellesmere Hospital
Alternatively known as: Ellesmere Hospital, QUEENS ROAD.
Former convalescent hospital. 1850-3 by Joseph Clarke as The Metropolitan Convalescent Institution. Left hand wing added 1861, right hand 1868; both to Clarke's original design. Red brick with stone quoins, 1st floor band, entablature and dressings to the front; yellow stock brick to the rear. Slated pitched roofs with tall brick chimney stacks. Symmetrical design in classical style. Central projecting bay of 3 windows; wings of 16 windows each, the end pavilions slightly projecting. Central bay of 2 storeys, attic and basement; wings, 2 storeys. Round-arched ground floor openings. Main entrance with rusticated and chanelled stone surround with mask keystone; flanking windows in similar surrounds and having margin glazing. Above the entrance, a tripartite window, the columns each formed by a caduceus surmounted by a mask; rusticated keystone. All windows are hornless sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor windows with gauged brick heads, those in projecting bays with triple keystones and lugged cills. 1st floor windows have cambered heads and all with triple keystones. Central entablature inscribed "Metropolitan Convalescent Institution/Instituted AD MDCCCXLI/ Supported by Voluntary Contributions". Left hand wing inscribed "Enlarged AD MDCCCLXI" ; right hand wing inscribed "The Marner Wing Erected AD MDCCCLXVIII" Rear facade gault brick, C20 flat roofed extensions not of special architectural interest.
History: The Metropolitan Convalescent Institution was founded by Theodore Monro, a medical student at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, who, appalled at the lack of convalescent facilities for the sick poor, arranged, with two of his friends, to have patients from London sent to recover with families in Harrow Weald, where his elder brother was vicar. A meeting in 1841 fom1ally brought the MCI into existence and the old workhouse at Carshalton was refurbished as a temporary home. By the late 1840s a fund had been started to raise money for a purpose-built home in the country .Lord Ellesmere became president of the charity in 1850 and donated 5 acres of land at Walton on Thames. This is a very early example of this type of hospital and served its original purpose until 1963.
Listing NGR: TQ0935564459
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings