History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michaels Hospital Rear Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6853 / 52°41'7"N

Longitude: -1.8161 / 1°48'57"W

OS Eastings: 412527

OS Northings: 309749

OS Grid: SK125097

Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.PN1

Mapcode Global: WHCGP.2RGR

Entry Name: St Michaels Hospital Rear Range

Listing Date: 9 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471798

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text

SK 10 NW LICHFIELD TRENT VALLEY ROAD
(North side)
1094-1/3/10009
St Michaels Hospital rear
Range

II


Former Master's House, flanked by male and female wings, to the former Lichfield Union Workhouse, now a hospital. 1838-40 by Scott and Moffatt. Red brick with blue brick diapering. Tiled roof, the 3 central bays with gables and central ogee-roofed cupola. 2 storeys; central 3 bays with attic. Symmetrical design of central bay flanked by projecting single-window canted bays and then slightly recessed 5-window ranges terminating with shallow 2-window cross wings. Gauged brick flat arches to mostly altered modern windows. Central crenellated, Tudor arched stone porch. Beyond to east later addition not of special interest.
Interior: retains the original stair.
Lichfield Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 and soon after opened a competition for a new Workhouse. The competition was won by G G Scott & W B Moffat, work began on building this Workhouse on 24th May 1838 and it was officially opened on 8th May 1840.


Listing NGR: SK1252709749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.