This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5059 / 51°30'21"N
Longitude: -0.1501 / 0°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 528487
OS Northings: 180179
OS Grid: TQ284801
Mapcode National: GBR BG.HB
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.CD0W
Entry Name: 21, Pitts Head Mews
Listing Date: 18 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471878
Location: Westminster, London, W1J
District: City of Westminster
London Borough Ward: West End
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2880 SW PITT'S HEAD MEWS
Mews buildings, formerly stabling, coach houses and accomodation above. Late C19 or early C20, possibly 1905 coinciding with the unification of Nos.21 and 23 Curzon Street. In two builds, of stock brick in English Bond, the block to left with slate mansard roof, the corner block with hipped slate roof. To left, two storeys and attics, ground floor modified garage doors, above six flush frame sashes with glazing bars, arranged in pairs. Three flat roofed dormer windows with four-light small paned casements. Tall stacks with shaped tops, prominent gables. To right, corner building breaking forward slightly, with curved return to Derby Street. Two storeys and attics. Pitts Head Mews elevation has central garage opening, altered, flanked by Diocletian windows. Pedestrian entrance to left with tall overlight above panelled door. Above, two uneven pairs of flush framed sashes with glazing bars. Two pairs of flat roofed dormer windows with small paned two light casements, alternating with tall stacks with shaped tops, set at the front of the building. Curved return has carriage guard at base. Derby Street elevation of three bays, with three Diocletian windows at ground floor, two pairs of flush frame sashes with glazing bars above, with tall loft opening with replaced window to right. Three flat roofed dormers similarly detailed as Pitts Head Mews elevation. Interior to western part, probably original coachhouse, has round-headed niche with tap. Eastern part has matchboard panelling , green glazed tiles and herringbone glazed brick floors with cast iron drainage channels and mark of stall partitions. Betweeen the two parts of the building are two tack rooms, one with with matchboard panelling, brackets for hanging saddles, cupboard and sink, the other with saddle brackets, cupboards and corner wooden fireplace with ogee-headed firegrate and green glazed tiles. Upper floor of original wooden staircase survives.
Listing NGR: TQ2848780179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings