This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0029 / 52°0'10"N
Longitude: 1.0157 / 1°0'56"E
OS Eastings: 607098
OS Northings: 238128
OS Grid: TM070381
Mapcode National: GBR SLY.KLN
Mapcode Global: VHKFG.KXBF
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278842
Location: Wenham Magna, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Wenham Magna
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Wenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 03 NE GREAT WENHAM CHURCH ROAD
22.2.55 Church of St John
Parish Church. C14 chancel with later south porch, C14 nave with north and south
porches, C15 west tower. C15 west tower, flint with stone dressings, the rest of
the church is plastered with only the stone windows exposed. Timber framed south
porch (nave). Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel:- Buttresses to eastern angles.
East window of 3 stepped lancets, sunk chamfered, trefoiled arches. North wall,
double lancet eastern window, small low side western window, arch with square
head. South wall, double lancet eastern window, sunk chamfered trefoiled western
window. Gabled porch between these two windows, chamfered 2-centre arched
doorway, nailed door with 3 strap hinges. sunk chamfered trefoil windows to
return walls. Plaque over door dated 1676 in memory of Spencer Fell. Nave:-
North wall buttressed to east and west with 2 stepped attached buttresses
adjacent to west of eastern buttress. Two chamfered 2-centre arched windows with
Y tracery. Between these windows the gabled north porch has a 2-centred arch
doorway, vertically boarded door. South wall, 2 windows similar to those in
north wall. South porch, timber framed, plastered dwarf wall. Arched braces
from storey posts form a 2-centred outer arch, similar single braces to right and
left bays. 1914-18 War Memorial Plaque over archway. South doorway, 2-centred
arch, moulded label with stops, C19/C20 double doors, nailed, with strap hinges.
Stoup, cinquefoiled 2-centre arch. West Tower:- Buttressed to north and south
western angles. Stair turret to first stage, east of south face. Buttresses and
turret with flint and stone panels to plinth and outer faces. Renewed
crenellations. Band below bell chamber. There appears to be a change in the
flintwork level with the third step of the buttresses. Each face of bell chamber
with a louvred window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, segmental
pointed heads. Clock faces to upper half of second stage, north and south
faces. Trefoiled heads to small windows, lower half of second stage, north,
south and west faces. There is a small niche, trefoiled with square label below
the west face window. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery,
4-centred head. Interior:- Chancel roof of 2 bays, nave roof of 3 bays of 7
cants, boarded, moulded soffits to tie beams, moulded wall plates, ribs and
diagonal intersections. 4 armed crown posts, moulded capitals and bases.
Sanctuary floor of medieval tiles, mainly red and yellow, some red and black.
Some similar tiles in chancel south porch. Wooden panelled reredos. Painted
Exodus, Lord's Prayer and Creed Boards. C19 stained glass to some windows.
Turned wood balusters to altar rails and tracery. 2 C19 wall plaques to Bailey
Family, 1 C19 plaque to Robson Family, 2 C19 brasses, to Rev D Whalley and the
King Family. South and north polygonal pulpits with linenfold panelling. simple
wooden lectern attached to front pew. C19 pews, panelled backs and dado, shafts
to aisle panels, poppyheads to front pews, carved raised panel to fourth nave
pew. No chancel arch. Nave:- North wall, shield of arms of East Family, sword,
and helm with horse crest. Below this panel is a blocked 2-centred arch,
probably the former rood loft doorway. There is a blocked segmental headed
doorway east of the north doorway royal coat-of-arms above north door. Organ
gallery in front of west tower arch, linenfold panelling to gallery front,
archway into west tower below organ, steps to south. The organ case and painted
pipes fill the tower arch. Plain octagonal font and stem. Tower stair turret
doorway, the head is blocked by organ loft, nailed 2-board door with strap
hinges. N Pevsner. Suffolk 1974.
Listing NGR: TM0709838128
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings