History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hadleigh

A Grade II Listed Building in Capel St. Mary, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.004 / 52°0'14"N

Longitude: 1.0567 / 1°3'23"E

OS Eastings: 609901

OS Northings: 238362

OS Grid: TM099383

Mapcode National: GBR TNB.9ZB

Mapcode Global: VHLBY.8WGM

Entry Name: Old Hadleigh

Listing Date: 30 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278820

Location: Capel St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Capel St. Mary

Civil Parish/community: Capel St Mary

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Capel St Mary with Little Wenham and Great Wenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bentley

Listing Text

TM 03 NE CAPEL ST MARY LONDON ROAD (WEST SIDE)
3/46
Old Hadleigh

II

House. C15 moved from 14 George Street, Hadleigh, Suffolk, 1934 when threatened
with demolition prior to road building. Timber framed. Red brick herring bone
nogging infill. Red plain tiled roofs. Red brick external chimney stacks to
right and left returns each with 2 circular shafts, moulded bases and capping,
spiral decoration, rear wing stack with 2 attached diagonal shafts, moulded
capping. L plan 2 storeys. Gable to left. Jettied to front with moulded
bressumer. Left ground floor corner post carved with scrolls and rose, capital
carved with a robed figure holding an open scroll. Flanking the door and to left
and far right are moulded jetty brackets, those by door and far right supported
by panelled shafts with moulded capitals. Halved bracing to return walls. Gable
and return gables, barge boards carved with scrolls and foliage. Carved
bressumer to gable with date 1424. Four small qargoyles to first floor. Three
first floor 3-light leaded mullions, those to right and left with small
sidelights and transoms, moulded and carved soffits. Ground floor left bay and
right 4-light leaded mullions with transoms. Some mullions are original, others
reproductions. Central segmental arched door, moulded square head, spandrels
carved with leaves and flowers, carved lintel. The nailed board and muntin door
from Ipswich Old Jail. Leaded sidelights, carved dragons to cills. Halved and
bridled side girt and top plate scarfs. To each side of the gable window are
moulded rainwater heads with spouts. To rear of the front range is a 5-light
ground floor mullion and a blocked first floor windows. Crenellated stair
turret, plastered with panels and fleur-de-lys, first floor 3-light, ground floor
2-light mullions. The ground floor of the rear wing is open to north and there
is a set back brick wall with a blocked 4-centred arch, possibly a former
bake-oven. Vari-light mullions to first floor and a C20 ground floor bay to
south. Interior:- Hall, moulded ceiling and bridging joists. Storey post by
stairs with carved gargoyle. Turned balusters to staircase, moulded handrail,
carved and moulded newels and string, panelled dado. The left ground floor room,
moulded ceiling and bridging joists. Restored brick fire surround with fine
mantel beam carved with deer and trees, the ends with spice cupboards which have
panelled doors. Plastered overmantel with side columns, flowers to frieze,
central panel hanging shield of arms surrounded by flowers and foliage, two side
panels each to right and left with ? deer, stags head, lion and portcullis. Wall
plate dated 1537. Right ground floor room fully panelled and with moulded
bridging and ceiling joists with carpenters marks. Panelled frieze with carved
animals. Stone moulded 4-centre arched fire surround, square head, carved
spandrels, moulded mantel shelf. Above is a fine timber carved overmantel of 6
panels each with central roundel or diamond surrounded by carved motifs, jewels
to central rail, carvings to upper muntins, side shafts carved with fruit and
flowers and right and left figures supporting the carved entablature. There is a
large bridging joist to first floor landing carved with oak leaves. Each of the
front bedrooms has a stone fire surround, moulded 4-centred arch, shields to
spandrels. Moulded shelf. Above one is a plaster panel with lion, rose, thistle
and fleur-de-lys, date under 1649. Plaster panelled ceiling central panel with
fleur-de-lys and roses. The other bedroom has a plaster panel above the
fireplace with central portcullis, rose, lion, lion mask and a ?face. The
painted, carved or plastered bridging joist with moulded soffit, the sides
covered with sea creatures and heraldic motifs. Roof said to be double side
purlin structure. The present owner Mr R C Saloway has a list of copy holders
and freeholders dating back to 1719 and a copy of a Deed dated 1790.


Listing NGR: TM0990138362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.