This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9735 / 51°58'24"N
Longitude: 1.0135 / 1°0'48"E
OS Eastings: 607078
OS Northings: 234843
OS Grid: TM070348
Mapcode National: GBR SMB.C1B
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.JN4H
Entry Name: The Lambe School
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278732
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT GASTON STREET
6/24 The Lambe School
School, now village hall. Founded 1594 by Edward Lambe. Two builds, the earlier
section to the right is probably the original building although much altered, with
early C19 range to left. Restored 1970s. Early section: timber-framed, front and
right gable cased in red brick in Flemish bond, rear weatherboarded. Slate to front
roof pitch, plain tiles to rear. One storey, 2 bays of frame. Sashes with glazing
bars in reveals. Present entrance through later range. Roof gableted to left.
External stack to right. 4-light restored diamond mullion window to rear. Later
range: white brick, slate roof. C20 weatherboarded extension to rear. One storey.
Four 16-pane sashes in reveals with sills under shallow pedimented lintels. Angle
pilasters. Original entrance to left gable end. Present entrance by rear extension.
Later linking wall to older range. Interior of early section: exposed framing
consisting of ground rail on plinth, studded walls and jowled posts with mortices
for arch braces. Replaced tie beams. Rebuilt inglenook with chamfered timber
bressummer. Studded wall above contains blocked restored 3-light diamond mullion
window. The school was originally endowed by Mistress Lettice Dykes in 1589, the
foundation by Edward Lambe (Lord of the village manor of Illaries) is recorded by
a deed of Sept 25th 1594.
Patterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923 pp 96-113.
Listing NGR: TM0707834843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings