This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9782 / 51°58'41"N
Longitude: 1.021 / 1°1'15"E
OS Eastings: 607574
OS Northings: 235388
OS Grid: TM075353
Mapcode National: GBR TNH.T4T
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.NJ4W
Entry Name: The Hare and Hounds
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033447
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278743
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0735 EAST BERGHOLT HEATH ROAD
5/35 The Hare and Hounds
Public House. C16 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, rendered,
part underbuilt and part cased in painted brick. Plain tile roof. Single-storey
and attic with gabled cross wing to right and later additions to right and rear.
Range to left: cased in brick, 4-panel door to left. Tripartite sash with glazing
bars to right. C20 canted bay to left gable end. Cross wing underbuilt in brick.
Half-glazed door with C20 casement to right. 8-pane sash above. Range to right
projects and under a catslide roof. Interior: left range has fine plaster ceiling
divided into 4 panels by ovolo-moulded beam and longitudinal beam with run-out stop.
3 of the panels have scrollwork borders with mythological beasts and a central square
boss flanked by large fleur-de-lys and Tudor roses. The panel adjacent to the
present entrance from the cross wing contains 4 parallel strips of scroll decoration.
Ground floor of cross wing has large chamfered beams with run-out stops. Inglenook
fireplace with bressummer. Original rear wall studded and contains Tudor-arched
doorway. To first floor some framing visible including chamfered jowled post,
chamfered tie beam and studded walls.
Listing NGR: TM0757435388
Other nearby listed buildings