History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Trees Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in East Bergholt, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9799 / 51°58'47"N

Longitude: 1.0208 / 1°1'15"E

OS Eastings: 607554

OS Northings: 235577

OS Grid: TM075355

Mapcode National: GBR TNH.T2X

Mapcode Global: VHKFN.NH1L

Entry Name: High Trees Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033450

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278753

Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: East Bergholt

Built-Up Area: East Bergholt

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
East Bergholt

Listing Text

TM 0735 EAST BERGHOLT QUINTONS ROAD
(North Side)

5/45 High Trees Farmhouse

22.2.55

GV II

House. Open-hall house of c1500 remodelled C18, later alterations and additions
including some interior remodelling of 1932 by Raymond Erith. Timber-framed, front
cased in red brick in Flemish bond, rear underbuilt in brick and rendered above,
gable ends rebuilt in brick. Red brick stacks. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and
attic, 5-bay frame. Original central open hall, floored over C16. 7 irregular
window bays. Off-centre half-glazed door in C20 timber porch. Sash windows with
glazing bars in flush wood architraves under flat gauged brick arches. One inserted
window with Gothick glazing to right. Steeply-pitched roof. End and off-centre
ridge stacks. Rear: C20 extensions of no special interest. Two C19 sashes with
glazing bars and C20 casements. Two gabled dormers with casements. Interior:
entrance hall has moulded ceiling beams and joists. Section of moulded and
brattished dais beam exposed to right. Remodelled by Erith in C18 style with
panelling and staircase. Plaster cornices to ground floor rooms. Further stair
to rear of stack. Framing exposed in part to first floor including wall plate,
jowled post with hollow chamfer with mortice for arch brace to hollow-chamfered
cambered tie beam. To attic: hall crown post to 4th bay - octagonal post on base
with moulded capital, braced to purlin and collar. Somewhat damaged due to later
partition wall (now removed). Studded partition to left incorporating unmoulded
crown post, beyond this wall the collar purlin is truncated. Unmoulded crown posts
to remaining bays to right.


Listing NGR: TM0755435577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.