History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in East Bergholt, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.97 / 51°58'11"N

Longitude: 1.0208 / 1°1'14"E

OS Eastings: 607599

OS Northings: 234479

OS Grid: TM075344

Mapcode National: GBR TNP.DWS

Mapcode Global: VHKFN.NR15

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 29 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278766

Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: East Bergholt

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
East Bergholt

Listing Text

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL
(North Side)

6/58 The Old Rectory
(Formerly listed as
22.2.55 Woodcote)

GV II

Rectory, now house. 1714 with additional wing of 1820s. Red brick in Flemish bond,
front rendered, rear painted. Slate roof to front, plain tiles to rear. Two
storeys, attic and basement. 4 bays with lower range of 1820 to left. Steps to
off-centre original entrance (present entrance to rear). 12-pane sashes. Parapet.
M-shaped roof with gabled dormer windows. Rear: later porch containing half-glazed
door. 12-pane sashes (some with thick glazing bars) in flush architraves under
flat gauged brick arches. Eaves band and parapet. Gabled dormers with sashes.
Later wing: 12-pane sashes in reveals under segmental arches. Interior: entrance
hall has paired arches to staircase with pilasters supporting keyed archivolts.
Closed-string stair (possibly somewhat remodelled) with column-on-vase balusters
with square knops. Column newels and ramped moulded handrail. Newels have square
pendants with finials. Dado panelling with pilasters follows line of stair. Other
features include a good carved chimneypiece to the drawing room, another to the
entrance hall, 6-panel doors in architraves and cornices. The home of Dr Rhudde,
grandfather of Maria Bicknell, wife of John Constable.


Listing NGR: TM0759934479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.