History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in East Bergholt, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9691 / 51°58'8"N

Longitude: 1.0136 / 1°0'48"E

OS Eastings: 607105

OS Northings: 234362

OS Grid: TM071343

Mapcode National: GBR SMB.K2W

Mapcode Global: VHKFN.JR6T

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 29 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278768

Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: East Bergholt

Built-Up Area: East Bergholt

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
East Bergholt

Listing Text

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL
(South Side)

6/60 The Old Hall
(Formerly listed as
22.2.55 The Friary)

- II

House, including former service range to north, now divided into dwelling units.
Range of 1713 (on rainwater head) with later C18 - C20 additions and alterations.
Slid C19 conventual ranges and chapel not of special interest. Service range
probably C17. 1713 house for Joseph Chaplain. White brick with red brick dressings.
Red brick later C18 addition, part lime washed. Plain tile and slate roofs. 1713
range of 3 storeys, 7 bays with single-storey C18 addition to south, raised to 3
storeys early C20, 2-storey C18 range to north, raised to 3 storeys C19. Extensive
conventual buildings to north incorporating earlier service range. 1713 house,
west front: outer bays recessed. Plinth, quoins. Later Ionic porch with dentilled
pediment. 6-panel door with patterned fanlight in panelled reveal. 18-pane sashes
in architraves with aprons. Gauged brick flat arches and jambs in red brick. Floor
bands. Similar first floor windows and 12-pane sashes to second floor. Moulded
cornice and parapet. Recessed bays to each side with similar detailing, that to
right has rainwater tread dated 1713 JCM. East front: 5-bay range with 6th bay
brought forward at right, similar detailing to west front but no porch. Library
range to left originally single-storey has 3 tall 15-pane sashes with cambered
gauged brick arches. C20 addition above, bowed front to south altered and raised
at the same time. To right, an originally 2-storey range with sashes with glazing
bars, some replaced by casements. Second floor band with later addition above.
Interior: 1713 range has staircase hall with panelling retaining fine dogleg stair-
case with 3 twisted balusters per tread, carved tread ends, Corinthian newels and
ramped moulded handrail. Panelled dado follows line of stair. Staircase window
in pedimented surround. First floor has two fully panelled rooms with original
doors and window shutters. Remains of original panelling elsewhere with dentilled
cornices and doorcases. Library range retains decorative scheme with dentil and
modillion cornice and plasterwork ceiling. Service range to north: C19 encasing
of earlier timber-framed structure which may relate to the original hall; red brick
in Flemish bond with plain tile roof; sashes with flat gauged brick arches, (some
later windows); iron tie bar ends; hipped roof. Interior much altered, but shows
remains of frame with stout scantlings. Posts with large chamfered knees with iron
bolts, one tie beam and other beams. Double span roof of butt purlin
construction, much altered, with former window concealed beneath present roof.
Old Hall was the principal manor of East Bergholt. It was acquired in 1701 by
Joseph Chaplain, wine cooper and High Sheriff of Suffolk, who built the house to
replace an earlier structure. The painting of the house by John Constable was
commissioned by the owner, John Reade, in 1801. The house became a Benedictine
nunnery in 1856, at which time the conventual ranges were added.
'An Unknown Constable' The Connoisseur Dec 1956 p 249.


Listing NGR: TM0710534362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.