This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1015 / 52°6'5"N
Longitude: 0.6639 / 0°39'50"E
OS Eastings: 582552
OS Northings: 248142
OS Grid: TL825481
Mapcode National: GBR QGP.6NY
Mapcode Global: VHJHF.GFCV
Entry Name: Coldhams House
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033463
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278690
Location: Glemsford, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Glemsford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Glemsford
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 82 48 18/600
2. House, formerly rectory. Built in 1835. Buff-coloured brick in Flemish
bond slate hipped roof with deep eaves with paired brackets to the soffits.
Brick stacks with brick cornices and strings.
Plan: L-shaped double-depth plan. 2 front rooms, one on either side of the
entrance hall which leads to a stairhall behind the left hand room. The room
on the right and the one behind it are on the symmetrical garden front. Set
back on the left hand side the service wing is an integral part of the design.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with original 16-pane sashes in
openings with flat gauged brick arches and central round-arch doorway with
semi-circular fanlight with radiating spider's-web glazing bars, moulded panel
doorcase and original 6-panel door, the bottom panels flush and reeded. The
right-hand elevation facing the garden has symmetrical 3 window arrangement,
C19 16-pane sashes except for the ground floor right hand window which is a
garden window. The rear elevation is also symmetrical 1.2.1 bays of 16-pane
sashes, those on the ground floor larger with low cills. The left hand
elevation has a round-headed stair window, the original sash has radiating
glazing bars at the top. The service wing to its left has smaller 12-pane
sashes in openings with segmental arched. The exterior of the house is largely
unaltered and most of the windows appear to be the original sashes.
Interiors is said to be also unaltered. The hall has a round arch doorway with
a fanlight and a staircase with stick balusters and moulded mahogany handrail.
The ceiling in the principal room and hall and stairwell have moulded plaster
cornices, the stairwell with an acanthus leaf light rose. There might be other
interior featured including original joinery such as doors and chimneypieces.
Listing NGR: TL8255248142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings