History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town House

A Grade II Listed Building in East Bergholt, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9687 / 51°58'7"N

Longitude: 1.0235 / 1°1'24"E

OS Eastings: 607791

OS Northings: 234344

OS Grid: TM077343

Mapcode National: GBR TNP.FMG

Mapcode Global: VHKFN.PSG4

Entry Name: The Town House

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 29 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278713

Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: East Bergholt

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
East Bergholt

Listing Text

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT BURNT OAK
(South Side)

6/6 The Town House (Nos 1 to 3)
(Formerly listed as
Almshouses at the Road
22.2.55 junction, 40 yards East of
King's Head Inn)

GV II

Burnt Oak Cottages on OS Map. Range of cottages. 3 builds. Early C16 range to
Flatford Road, later C16 range to Main Road with probable C17 addition to right.
Later alterations. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks.
2 storeys, L-plan. Flatford Road front: 4 1st floor windows. Two C20 doors, small-
paned casements. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. To Main Road: 5 1st floor windows,
irregularly spaced. Range to left is jettied to rear. Steeply-pitched roof. Range
to right is slightly lower with lobby-entry plan with half-glazed door and further
entrance in gabled porch to gable end. Interior: Flatford Road range: chamfered
beams and exposed joists. No 2 shows jowled posts, cambered tie-beam. Unmoulded
crown post with mortice for missing brace to collar purlin with splayed scarf.
Roof not fully inspected. In 1654 this building was bought by the Parish Overseers
for housing paupers.
East Bergholt Society, East Bergholt 1981, Text J Elam.


Listing NGR: TM0779134344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.