This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3594 / 51°21'33"N
Longitude: -1.8669 / 1°52'0"W
OS Eastings: 409365
OS Northings: 162267
OS Grid: SU093622
Mapcode National: GBR 3WB.NTZ
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.L3F6
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311613
Location: Stanton St. Bernard, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Bernard
Civil Parish/community: Stanton St Bernard
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
STANTON ST BERNARD THE STREET
SU 06 SE
7/193 Manor Farmhouse
Manor house, later farm, now house. C17 and early C19. Sarsen
with limestone dressings. Slate roof. 'L'-plan, front block of 3
bays with central stair hall, and service wing to rear beyond
through passage behind left parlour. Re-entrant angle brought out
to square in early C19 and reroofed with parallel ridge. Elevation
2 storeys, 3 bays, with limestone quoins, water sill, string and
drip moulding over windows. Central entrance with half-glazed door
under anse-de-panier arch, surrounded by bolection mouldings with
capitals and draped shields in arch spandrels, and large dropped
keystone. Pulvinated frieze over and broken pediment enclosing a
small urn. Datestone reading S / M. E / 1677 with volutes over,
probably Michael Smith and wife. Blind oval keyed oculi at either
side of door. Windows early C19, sixteen-pane sashes to ground
floor, 12-pane to upper floor, replacing rebated ovolo cross
windows, which remain on both floors of right gable return.
Modillion eaves and roof hipped. Rear wing on left; added early
C19, is of brick, 2 bays, 2 storeys; and a further extension beyond
a through passage, single storey containing service rooms.
Internally, early C19 stair and doors. Two C17 eared architraves
to doors at first floor level. Windows have scratched graffiti
with names of William (Smith) and Barbara Hay, dated 1720.
Listing NGR: SU0936562267
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings