This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3691 / 51°22'8"N
Longitude: -2.0342 / 2°2'3"W
OS Eastings: 397712
OS Northings: 163340
OS Grid: ST977633
Mapcode National: GBR 2TS.2HY
Mapcode Global: VHB47.PVF9
Entry Name: Rowdeford School
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311167
Location: Rowde, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Rowde
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ST 96 SE BROMHAM DEVIZES ROAD
4/17 Rowdeford School
Country House, built 1812 for W. Locke M.P., ashlar with slate low-
pitched roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storey main elevations, 3-
storey painted brick service range. Five window formal front, the
centre bay slightly recessed, the 2-bay sides framed by Ionic
pilasters. Raised plinth, panelled band to each side, moulded
cornice, set back at centre, and parapet. Sides have unmoulded
window frames with 12-pane sashes above, plate-glass 4-pane sashes
below. Centre has first floor 12-pane sash in enriched architrave
with swags in frieze and cornice on console brackets. Centre 8-
panel door in reeded frame with sidelights and large traceried
fanlight over. Semi-circular ashlar porch on 2 pairs of Ionic
columns with pilaster responds. Entablature with panelled frieze.
Five-bay orangery to right, the centre 3 advanced and with Ionic
pilasters. Timber cornice. Margin-lights to windows and centre
glazed door. Broad 3-bay side has similar detail, recessed centre
with ground floor corniced tripartite window, 12-pane above, wings
with Ionic pilasters, 12-pane upper windows, French window to
ground floor left, blind window to right.
Interior: entrance hall with plaster frieze and fluted surrounds
to doorcases each side. Two Ionic columns to rear, screening
stair-hall. Open well staircase with thin iron lyre-motif
balustrade. Circular top lantern. Matching Ionic columns to first
floor landing. Rooms to ground floor left and right have plaster
cornices and friezes. House is said to have been built for Wadham
Locke M.P., died 1835, and passed to F.A.S. Locke, died 1885, but
apparently owned or occupied c1815 by Thomas Wyatt (died 1820),
c1818 by his son Matthew (died 1831), father of the eminent
architects Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807-80) and Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt
(1820-77). Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt was born at Rowde.
(J.M. Robinson, The Wyatts, An Architectural Dynasty, 1979 201;
N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9771263340
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings