This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3854 / 51°23'7"N
Longitude: -2.055 / 2°3'18"W
OS Eastings: 396265
OS Northings: 165148
OS Grid: ST962651
Mapcode National: GBR 2TK.385
Mapcode Global: VHB47.BFFT
Entry Name: Porch House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311154
Location: Bromham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Bromham
Built-Up Area: Bromham (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bromham, Chittoe and Sandy Lane
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 9665 BROMHAM THE CHANTRY
10/4 No 1 (Porch House)
House, later C17 on C15 core, painted and rendered rubble stone
main range with hipped stone slate roof and rear stack. Painted
brick range to right with Bridgwater tile roof and ridge stack.
Main house is 2-storey-and-attic, 3-window range with 2-storey
hipped-roof projecting porch to right. Flush quoins to north east
angle. Two first floor leaded casement pairs and ground floor 6-
light leaded casement with one iron opening light. Porch has
rendered upper floor, probably timber-framed with similar casement
pair. Ground floor pair of massive Doric half-columns and turned
baluster screens each side. Behind columns on front is original
timber doorcase with similar baluster screens each side. Six-panel
door with overlight. Range to right is 2-storey, originally
timber-framed, raised and refronted in painted brick in early C19.
Two-window range of leaded casement pairs and central door, lower
openings with cambered heads. Framing is exposed on west end
wall. Thin square framing on rear wall.
Interior not inspected: said to have cruck in centre and moulded
stone fireplace in upper left-hand room (1952 Devizes R.D. List).
House is possibly the chaplain's house for the Tocotes chantry in
Bromham church, built 1492. From 1751 to 1825 was the Red Lion
(H. Davis, A. History of Bromham, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST9626865149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings