History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Fittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2454 / 51°14'43"N

Longitude: -1.7917 / 1°47'30"W

OS Eastings: 414632

OS Northings: 149604

OS Grid: SU146496

Mapcode National: GBR 4Z3.XGM

Mapcode Global: VHB4Y.WYMM

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311009

Location: Fittleton, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Fittleton

Built-Up Area: Netheravon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Fittleton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Enford

Listing Text

FITTLETON MAIN STREET
SU 14 NW (west side)

9/57
Old Rectory
4.6.52

GV II
House. Late C17 and 1742. Main block of brick with limestone
quoins and dressings. Slate roof. Rear, earlier, block, of flint
and limestone with plain tiled roofs. Rear block of 2 bays, linked
to parallel front block with central stair hall and flanking
reception rooms, extended to left in early C19. Facade of 7 x 2
window bays divided into 3 equal parts by two giant order pilasters
each carrying one triglyph frieze. Twelve-pane sashes with
segmental brick arches and stone keys. Centre first floor window
blind and key has incised F.J.M. 1742 (possibly Robert Merchant,
rector 1731-73 Patron and the President of Magdalen College
Oxford), flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes. Central open pedimented
6-panel door on console brackets. Timber cornice, broken slightly
forward over pilasters. Three flat roofed dormers with casement
windows. Roof hipped and stacks to rear.
Interior has dog-leg stair with dado panelling, probably mid-C19.
Room to left C18 fully panelled with cornice and C19 fireplace.
Drawing room in left 2-bay extension also 1842-54 for Rev. T.
Phillips.


Listing NGR: SU1463249604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.