This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3589 / 51°21'32"N
Longitude: -1.6259 / 1°37'33"W
OS Eastings: 426146
OS Northings: 162269
OS Grid: SU261622
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z9.PRY
Mapcode Global: VHC23.R3TL
Entry Name: Crofton Pumping Station
Listing Date: 1 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310817
Location: Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Great Bedwyn
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
GREAT BEDWYN CROFTON
SU 26 SE
5/93 Crofton Pumping Station
Pumping Station for the Kennet and Avon Canal Co. 1802-9, John
Rennie, chief engineer, enlarged 1843 and restored 1971. Group of
buildings comprising engine house, boiler house, side boiler house
and various attached structures. Pumphouse of brickwork, English
bond, with hipped large slate roof. Four-storey 4 window bays.
Entrance off centre on north gable, round headed, with access
across header leat. Lower boiler house attached by gable to south,
brick with slate roof and large fanlight. Engine house with 12-
pane sashes, 6-pane to top floor. Boiler house with gable window.
Further boiler house to side of 1843.
Interior: Engine house has 2 pumping engines, No 1, of 1812 by
Boulton and Watt with condenser and parallel motion. Six-ton 9 m
cast iron beam. Valves modified 1843 and condenser relocated. No
2 engine by Harvey & Co of Hayle, 1843, cylinder replaced 1903.
Both engines 1.066 m cylinder bore, 2.44 m stroke raising 1 ton of
water each stroke, 12 and 9 strokes per minute respectively. Water
is raised 12.19 m from a tunnel from the reservoir and canal pound
supplemented from canal lock No 63 after 1847. Water is laundered
into header leat (now derelict) leading to summit of canal 1500 m
to the west, above lock 62. Boilers of Lancashire type replacing
originals in 1896. 8.2 m x 2.28 m diameter. A subsidiary pump was
installed 1826 to supply water to Tottenham House (q.v.). The
engines are the earliest steam beam engines still in working order.
The pumping station is the key element in an important group of
industrial and utilitarian monuments in Crofton, which also
includes the reservoir outfall (q.v.) locks (q.v.), the Great
Western Railway and a 1939-45 pillbox.
Listing NGR: SU2614662269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings