History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Somerset Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Froxfield, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4111 / 51°24'39"N

Longitude: -1.5699 / 1°34'11"W

OS Eastings: 430006

OS Northings: 168091

OS Grid: SU300680

Mapcode National: GBR 5YS.KWX

Mapcode Global: VHC1R.QSWN

Entry Name: Somerset Hospital

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Last Amended: 30 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310728

Location: Froxfield, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Froxfield

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Little Bedwyn

Listing Text

FROXFIELD BATH ROAD
SU 26 NE
and SU 36 NW (north side)
2/8, 3/8 Somerset Hospital
(formerly listed as Duchess of
Somerset Almshouse and Hospital
and Chapel)
22.8.66
GV II*
50 charity dwellings and chapel (q.v.) 1694, 1775 and 1813. Built
for Duchess of Somerset and known as The College. Red brick with
vitrified brick banding and tiled roofs. Dwellings are arranged
round a large rectangular court with gatehouse of 1813 in centre of
south elevation. Each dwelling is of 2 storeys, 1 bay with lateral
door to stair passage, living room and narrow kitchen. Eastern
half, of 1694, has door and windows in ogee moulded stone
surrounds, the boarded door with small timber canopy and lattice
sides. Two-light windows with brick relieving arches over
surround. Brick dentilled eaves. Western half, of 1775 without
stone detail, brick plat band and leaded timber windows. South
elevation has some blind windows and boxed eaves throughout.
Central gatehouse of 1813, stone, tall buttresses and tall moulded
carriage openings with Tudor arch. Three quatrefoil lights to
upper level and crenellated parapet. Roof pitched carrying clock
tower and bell turret with apex wind vane. Dedicatory inscription
over entrance. Sun dial on internal rear facade. (Rev.
A.G.Barley, Old Froxfield.)


Listing NGR: SU2995068084

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.