This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4105 / 51°24'37"N
Longitude: -1.5761 / 1°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 429580
OS Northings: 168024
OS Grid: SU295680
Mapcode National: GBR 5YS.JBK
Mapcode Global: VHC1R.MTN3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Last Amended: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310734
Location: Froxfield, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Froxfield
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
FROXFIELD CHURCH ROAD
SU 26 NE
2/14 Church of All Saints
(formerly listed as Parish Church
of All Saints)
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, and C19 work by Ewan Christian.
Flint with limestone dressings. Stone tiled roof. Nave with south
porch and bell tower, chancel and north vestry. Chancel has 2
lancets to south and east end, latter with monolithic heads, and
chamfered water table. Bench mark on south-east quoin. Nave at
pronounced angle to chancel. Side alternate west quoins and some
herringbone work may indicate C11 work. Two-light south window
with quatrefoil head and no hoodmould, and 2 other later 2-light
windows. Late medieval 3-light west window. C14 north door and
probably C17 south door with C19 timber porch. Mass dials on south
east quoins. Roof half hipped to west and shingled bell tower of
the 1892 restoration with 6 trefoiled lights to each face.
Interior: Wide 3-bay nave with crown post roof of 1892. Chancel
arch, also 1892 and north opening from chancel for organ and
vestry. Chancel roof of 2 bays. Fittings: low stone medieval
bowl font. C19 oak pulpit on stone base. C19 brass and round pole
sanctuary rail and organ by Henry Jones of London. Monuments:
Nave: Wall tablets. 1777, pink and white marbles, to ELIAS and
ELEANOR IVY, Pedimented. Tablet of 1766, slate and marble, to
JOSEPH DRURY. Tablet of 1833, marble to MARGARET LOWDER. Tablet
of 1831, slate and marble, to GRACE ATWOOD. In chancel: Tablet of
1831, slate and marble to Rev. LUDOVIC EVANS, Latin inscription.
Tablet of 1872 to JOHN GILLMORE. Tablet of 1821, white marble on
slate, to Rev. JOHN GILLMORE. Urn over brackets flanking
inscription on sarcophagus. Over north door good Royal arms of
1671, and 2 devotional boards. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England:
Listing NGR: SU2958068024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings