This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5009 / 51°30'3"N
Longitude: -1.5961 / 1°35'45"W
OS Eastings: 428133
OS Northings: 178068
OS Grid: SU281780
Mapcode National: GBR 5XL.Z5L
Mapcode Global: VHC1C.9J2S
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310560
Location: Baydon, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Baydon
Built-Up Area: Baydon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 27 NE BAYDON -
2/101 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. c1100, c1200, C15 and C19. Diaper oolite
and flint panels, chancel flint on stone footings, north aisle
flint. Lead roofs. Nave and aisle, chancel and north vestry, and
west tower. C19 south porch. Square headed 3-light cusped
windows. Tower rendered with ashlar quoins and angle buttresses, 3
tiers, 2-light belfry openings and crenellated parapet. 2 scratch
dials on aisle quoins. East window 1859-9 by G. E. Street.
Restoration again in 1876 and 1892.
Interior: Nave arcade of 2 bays on south, c1100. Simple round
arches and hood mould. Hollow chamfer around central pier and
responds. Chamfered door for later west gallery now absent. North
arcade of 3 bays, c1200, iron case round columns, round capitals
and bases with leaf bases. 2-order pointed arches. Clerestory
lancet, much renewed. Boarded roof on cambered ties. North Aisle
1857-8 almost wholly rebuilt by G. E. Street. South Aisle C15,
re-roofed C19. Chancel arch rebuilt on skew on C12 responds.
Chancel 3 bays, ties bracketed to corbelled wall posts, probably
C17. East window C19 Perpendicular. Tower arch tall, of 2
chamfered orders with a mid C20 oak screen. Fittings: Octagonal
font with raised pointed arches, medieval. Pulpit, 1963 matching
font. Monuments: In Chancel, 7 wall tablets, white marble on
grey. North wall: WILLIAM WILLIAMS, 1796 by Major of Swindon.
Reverend WILLIAM JENNINGS, 1833, his widow added 1859, by Major of
Swindon. Major General WILLIAM KIRKPATRICK of the East India Co.
1828. South Wall: JOHN WILLIAMS, urn over tablet, 1828.
MILLICENT PARKER, c1954 by Moneybone of Shrivenham. JOSEPH STROUD,
1856. THOMAS STROUD, 1827. Urn over tablet, by Major of
Swindon. Furniture: In vestry, 3-panel carved chest C17.
Communion Table, probably C18, altered, and some C18 fielded
panelling. The north wall of the churchyard is of cob with stone
Listing NGR: SU2813378068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings