History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Aldbourne, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4808 / 51°28'50"N

Longitude: -1.6214 / 1°37'17"W

OS Eastings: 426388

OS Northings: 175826

OS Grid: SU263758

Mapcode National: GBR 5XY.4X0

Mapcode Global: VHC1J.V16N

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310499

Location: Aldbourne, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Aldbourne

Built-Up Area: Aldbourne

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Aldbourne

Listing Text

SU 27 NE ALDBOURNE THE GREEN
(north side)


9/39 Church of St. Michael

22.8.66


GV I


Anglican parish church. C13 - C15. Flint and limestone, some
chequer work. Some sarsen and limestone ashlar tower. Lead and
slate roofs. Nave, and aisles. Transepts. Chancel with north and
south chapels. Tall south porch formerly 2-storey, and infill
chamber between porch and transept. West tower. Elevation to south
with 4-light Tudor arched windows, 3-light and cusped to
clerestory. 3-light Perpendicular windows to transepts and to east
end of chancel side chapels. Chancel has lancets, triple to east
end. Aisles and nave walls crenellated. Tower, erected 1460 by
Richard Goddard, of 3 stages with large angle buttresses decorated
with crocketed triangular projections. West door with 4-centred
arch with 2 casement mouldings and label with figured terminals.
2-stage 4-light window above door and flanking vaulted and
crocketed niches. Bell stage with quatrefoil pierced transennae,
also of 2 cusped stages. Panelled parapet with grotesque
gargoyles. No pinnacles. Bronze bench mark.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays, c1200. Chalkstone on drum columns and
circular abaci. Pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, the inner
order of westernmost half round. South side decorated with
horizontal zig-zag and lobed ornamentation. Transepts of 1 bay mid
C15 with attached columns between hollow chamfers. Chancel of 1
open bay and east sanctuary with lancets. Nave roof low pitched
with higher roof over by William Butterfield 1863-67, 8 and half
bays, moulded ties intermediate principals and purlins. Boarding
over rafters. Similar roofs to north aisle and transepts, and to
both chancel chapels, the southern ceiled between the purlins.
Rood stair in north-east pier of crossing, and brackets for
figures. The outer face of the south nave door is round headed,
with horizontal zig-zag and elementary dog-tooth, and restored nook
shafts. North chapel has squint to High Altar and damaged piscina,
and ogee headed niche to left of east window, with original red
paint. South chapel includes vestry enclosed with C18 panelling.
Bay between south transept and porch now children's corner, has
panelled intrados to aisle and transept and corbelled stair to
former upper room of porch, the stair removed by Butterfield when
north porch removed. Fittings: Perpendicular screen between
transept and south chapel, much restored in C18 and later. Also
some medieval work in north chancel screen. Font probably C15 with
lozenge panels. Pulpit c1600; highly carved hexagon on 6 wooden
columns. Lectern C19 oak. Other fittings of C19. Monuments:
Chancel: Chest tomb, 1510, limestone, to JOHN STONE, quatrefoil
panels with central shields. Alabaster top incised with figure of
vicar holding chalice. Inscribed border, Oval wall tablet, 1794,
white and grey marble, to NEATE family, by Brewer of Box. Tablet,
1812 Oval white and grey marble, to JOHN NEATE, by Brewer of Box.
Tablet 1833, white marble on black, to STEPHEN AND ANNA MARIA
NEATE, sarcophagus. Unsigned. Wall tablet, 1829 White marble on
black, to ANNA BROWN, small sarcophagus, by Pound of Newbury. White
tablet, 1843, white and black marble, to CAPT. HENRY SEAGRAVE,
governor of The Gambia. Anchor on chest, by Harrison of
Marlborough. North Chapel: Wall monument to EDWARD AND WILLIAM
WALROND, brothers, c1615. Marble. Chest with arms in cartouche
and flying dragons, and strapwork on returns. Above, facing
kneeling figures in niches flanked by marble Ionic columns on
strapwork pedestals. Strapwork cresting with hog terminals. South
Chapel: Wall stone, 1681, to JOHN NORRIS. South Transept:
Monument, 1615, chalkstone, probably to RICHARD GODDARD of Upham
and family. Large chest with strapwork and foliage. Metal shields
missing, Goddard, wife and children kneeling on chest, facing
outwards, 3 mustachioed boys and 1 girl. Recessed arches to rear,
formerly with metal plates, between marbled Corinthian columns
supporting gilded entablature. Masks and foliage in spandrils over
arches. Long strapwork cresting over, with central arms and crown
terminal. Panelled and coloured obelisks at corners. A fine
monument with good detail of costume. Scroll over south door,
1786, to THOMAS GODDARD. Children's Corner: Hatchment, argent, a
chevron gules and three sheaves also gules. DEO PRO NOBIS.
North Aisle: Wall tablet, 1852, to Rev. JOHN SEAGRAM, by Harrison
of Marlborough. Tablet, 1842, white panel on black marble, to
BROOME WITTS and 15 ancestors (sic). Tablet, 1821, white marble on
black, to RICHARD WITTS of New York and relatives. North Aisle:
Royal Arms of Queen Anne. Nave: 3 commemorative ringing boards,
1806, 1837 and 1840. Brasses: South Chapel: Richard Goddard of
Upham and wife, 1495. His dates not completed. Probably the
builder of the tower. Dr. Henry Frekylton, chaplain, 1508.
Clerical figure with book and inscription. Miscellaneous: South
Aisle: Late C16 early C17 chest. Transept: North Persian carpet
of 4 stripes and 3 medallions. C19. North Aisle: 2 timber fire
engines, ADAM and EVE, Bristow of London. References: Pevsner,
[(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).]


Listing NGR: SU2639475822

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.