History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marlborough, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4179 / 51°25'4"N

Longitude: -1.7342 / 1°44'3"W

OS Eastings: 418579

OS Northings: 168793

OS Grid: SU185687

Mapcode National: GBR 4X8.0DB

Mapcode Global: VHB46.WMKF

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 18 July 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310347

Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Marlborough

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Marlborough

Listing Text


HIGH STREET
1.
5407
(West End)
CENTRE ISLAND
Church of St Peter
and St Paul.
SU 1868 2/24
II*

18.7.49.


Mid or late C15. Ashlar. Nave and 2 aisles, north one with a canted west end,
chancel, west tower, and porch. No clerestory. Aisle windows have 3-light Perpendicular tracery, west window 5-light Perpendicular tracery. Tower placed at west end of south aisle: 3 stages, crenellated parapet, octagonal turrets at corners capped by Cl8 pyramidal finials, windows in top stage with 3-light Perpendicular tracery.
Crenellated parapet to aisle and chancel roofs. Finials at east corners of chancel (probably Cl9). Doorway to porch with 4-centred arch and square hood mould.
Interior of porch tierceron vaulted.
Interior has tall Perpendicular arcade and Cl9 wooden. roof on stone angel corbels.
Aisle roofs are also wooden, lean-to. Quadrant relieving arch abuts tower in
south aisle. Chancel tierceron-vaulted, and east wall rebuilt by T H Wyatt in
1862-3, giving it highly polychromed tiling in abstract patterns.

Good monuments, especially (in chancel) to 3 children of Sir Nicholas Hyde (1626), and to Marianne Maurice (1840) by Ternouth to designs of Chantrey. More Baroque tablets. Furnishings Cl9 replacing Georgian box pews.
Cardinal Wolsey ordained priest here in 1498.
Best church in Marlborough, remarkable for the vaulting and its site.

The Church of St Peter and St Paul forms a group Nos 42 to 64 (consec),
and Nos 65 to 85 (consec), The Sun Public House and Nos 88 to 90 Consec.

Listing NGR: SU1855468692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.