History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandown, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6583 / 50°39'29"N

Longitude: -1.153 / 1°9'10"W

OS Eastings: 459963

OS Northings: 84632

OS Grid: SZ599846

Mapcode National: GBR 9DF.P93

Mapcode Global: FRA 87GB.JMC

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 14 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310206

Location: Sandown, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Sandown

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Sandown St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Sandown

Listing Text

SANDOWN
SZ58SE CARTER STREET
1352-0/4/170 Church of St John
II

Church. 1880-1 by C L Luck in Early English style. Built of
coursed rubble with modern pantiled roofs. Nave and chancel in
one, 4 bays to nave, 1 bay to chancel, north and south aisles
and octagonal shingled spirelet on roof between nave and
chancel. West front has tall lancet windows and tall
buttresses. 5 double trefoliated windows to clerestorey,
separated by stepped buttresses. Aisles have traceried
windows, triple lancets in arched surrounds, the central
higher and with quatrefoil motifs. South front gabled with
cross-shaped saddlestone. Arched doorcase with engaged
columns.
Spacious interior with large arches supported on circular
columns. Octagonal font with trefoil decoration. Elaborate
octagonal stone lectern of 1903 with carved figure of saint
and marble columns. East wall arcaded with 6 large trefoliated
stained glass windows. Wooden louvred reredos. Sedilia and
screen to side chapels. Wooden roof of hammerbeam type with
crenellated tie beam.


Listing NGR: SZ5996384632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.