History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Knighton

A Grade II Listed Building in Newchurch, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6737 / 50°40'25"N

Longitude: -1.1947 / 1°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 457003

OS Northings: 86316

OS Grid: SZ570863

Mapcode National: GBR 9D5.QRK

Mapcode Global: FRA 87D9.6DQ

Entry Name: Lower Knighton

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Last Amended: 14 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310171

Location: Newchurch, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Newchurch

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Newchurch All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Newchurch

Listing Text

NEWCHURCH
SZ58NE
Lower Knighton
1352-0/1/134
18/01/67
Formerly Listed as:
Knighton Farmhouse
GV II

Farmhouse. Probably c1693. Datestone 1742 with initials M D
over the door probably refers to alterations. Built of coursed
stone rubble with ashlar quoins. tiled roof. Off-central
clustered brick chimneystack. Roughly L-shaped lobby entrance
house with modern extension now incorporating C18 brewhouse. 2
storeys 4 windows. 4 C20 casements. Stone coping and kneelers
to gable ends. Plinth. Off-central early C19 6-panelled door
under mid C19 gabled weather porch which has a slate roof,
columns and lattice work between. Catslide roof to rear with
out-shut. Former brewhouse of stone with brick dressings.
Former brewhouse to rear of stone with brick dressings now
incorporated in house. Half-winder staircase. Lounge has wide
stone fireplace and chamfered spine beam with lamb's tongue
stops. At one time this house had carved sailing ships of the
Napoleonic period. During renovation they were removed and
were (at the time of resurvey) displayed at Haseley Manor (see
Arreton Parish). Initials over door may stand for Mary
Dillington of Knighton Gorges.


Listing NGR: SZ5700386316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.