History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bembridge Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bembridge, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6855 / 50°41'7"N

Longitude: -1.095 / 1°5'42"W

OS Eastings: 464026

OS Northings: 87705

OS Grid: SZ640877

Mapcode National: GBR BFF.ZY9

Mapcode Global: FRA 87L8.97N

Entry Name: Bembridge Lodge

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310059

Location: Bembridge, Isle of Wight, PO35

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Bembridge

Built-Up Area: Bembridge

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Bembridge Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Bembridge

Listing Text

BEMBRIDGE
SZ68NW HIGH STREET
1352-0/2/28 Bembridge Lodge
18/01/67
II
House, c 1820-30. Built of coursed stone rubble with slate
roof. Consists of central block of 2 storeys 3 bays flanked by
pavilions of lower elevation. Central block has hipped roof
flanked by tall brick chimneys. 3 casement windows to 1st
floor. Ground floor has 2 triple casements with cambered head
linings and diamond motif. Central doorcase, a C20
replacement, has triangular pediment, pilasters and
round-headed doorcase with double doors. The original
architectural model shows a curved pediment, pilasters
rectangular fanlight and 8 panelled door. The end pavilions
were originally of 1 storey but have been heightened probably
in the later C19. 2 semi-dormers with casements to each
pavilion and triple casement to ground floor with cambered
head and diamond pattern in head linings. The rear elevation
has cast iron balconettes.
Interior has entrance hall with cornice with plastered ovolo
moulding and heavy brackets. Curved staircase with stick
balusters and mahogany handrail. Several 6 fielded panelaled
doors with reeded architraves having lion's head paterae. 3
ground floor rooms have cornices with plumed friezes and wheat
ear decorations. Living room has a black marble fireplace with
circular paterae. Another room has a white marble fireplace
with a reeded frieze, paterae and a panel with a female
reclining figure and lion. 2 other rooms have connecting doors
with square paterae to the architraves and each end has a
white marble fireplace with a panel showing the Goddess Ceres
with a windmill, identical except that the panels are
reversed. At one time the house was known as Fairoak Pavilion.
At the time of survey the owner possessed the original
architectural model of the house.


Listing NGR: SZ6402687705

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.