History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Part of Osbourne Smith's Wax Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Brading, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6821 / 50°40'55"N

Longitude: -1.1429 / 1°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 460646

OS Northings: 87283

OS Grid: SZ606872

Mapcode National: GBR 9D7.5V2

Mapcode Global: FRA 87H8.NJV

Entry Name: Part of Osbourne Smith's Wax Museum

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Last Amended: 16 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034340

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310083

Location: Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Brading

Built-Up Area: Brading

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Brading St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Brading

Listing Text

In the entry for

BRADING HIGH STREET
SZ 60 88
1352-0/6/82 46 (even) Part of Osborne
18/01/67 Smith's Wax Museum
(formerly listed as: part
of 1-2 The Old Cottage
part of Kings Towne
Museum)
GV II*

The grade and the description shall be amended to read

SZ 60 88 BRADING HIGH STREET
1352-0/6/82 46 (even) Part of Osborne
18/01/67 Smith's Wax Museum
(formerly listed as: part
of 1-2 The Old Cottage
part of Kings Towne
Museum)
GV II

House, later subdivided, now part of wax museum. C16; restored
C20. Close-studded timber frame with herringbone brick nogging
(now painted); stone rubble at rear. Thatched 2-span roof with
gabled front and back. Large C20 stone rubble lateral stack on
left side.

PLAN: Rectangular plan with large ground floor room heated from
restored stack on left side and with 2 chambers above, open to
the roof, jettied out at front. Originally there may have been
service rooms at the back. The bay set back on the right (W) is
a C20 rebuilding of a later extension and the gables, the close-
studding on the ground floor and the large stack on the left (E)
side are all the result of a 1960s restoration.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2-gabled bays jettied out on first floor
on moulded bressumer on brackets and with moulded mid-rail above;
close-studding; tension braces on left and right returns. The
gables on brackets are C20. C20 4-light mullion - transom ground
floor windows and 3-light first windows with leaded panes and
shutters. C20 arched doorway to right of centre. Set back on
right rebuilt extension with glazed ground floor and oriel above.
Left-hand (E) return large C20 stone rubble stack with set-offs.
Stone rubble at rear with rebuilt gables and C20 stairs to
gallery under pentice.

INTERIOR; Ground floor left moulded bridging beam, moulded
joints and C20 fireplace with timber bressumer. Two 2-bay roofs
over chambers above, each with chamfered arch brace truss, the
braces corbelled at feet, the principals with renewed threaded
purlins and curved wind-braces.

NOTE: Said originally to have been the rectory which became the
town house of the oglander family, and later an inn, called The
Crown in the C17. Also said to be situated on an ancient site
with traces of Anglo-Saxon occupation. The skeleton exhumed here
is thought to be the remains of Louis de Rochefort the French spy
murdered in 1640 when it was The Crown Inn. Reputedly the only
close-studded town house on the Isle of Wight.

------------------------------------

BRADING
SZ6088 HIGH STREET
1352-0/6/82 46 (Even)
18/01/67 Part of Osborne Smith's Wax Museum
Formerly Listed as: part of
1-2 The Old Cottage part of Kings
Towne Museum
GV II*

Wax museum, originally rectory then town house of Oglander
family, Inn, called Crown in C17, later 2 cottages. Early C16
restored C20. Timber-framed building, the front close-studded
with midrails and herringbone brick infill now colourwashed,
the side and rear elevations stone rubble. Thatched roof.
External stepped stone chimney stack to left-hand side. 2
storeys and attics 2 bays with 2 overhanging gables on
brackets and further 1 bay set back. 1st floor has two 3-light
mullioned windows with leaded lights, the right-hand having
original wooden mullions. Roll-moulded bressumer between
floors. Ground floor has two 4-light mullioned windows with
leaded lights and pilasters with carved tops. Doorcase has
spandrels and 2 centred arch with mouldings. To right hand 1st
floor square wooden mullions. Ground floor has cambered former
carriage entrance, now glazed. Ground floor left side room has
early C16 roll-moulded spine beam and joists. Wooden bressumer
and herringbone brick to fireplace and fireback. Flagstones.
Exposed close-studding with diagonal braces. Roof has upper
cruck construction with collar beam and some arched tension
braces, no ridge piece and through purlins. An ancient site
with traces of Anglo Saxon occupation. In 1640 when the
building was the Crown Inn French spy Louis de Rochefort was
murdered here. The only close-studded town house on the Isle
of Wight. Modern extension to rear including Chamber of
Horrors not of special interest


Listing NGR: SZ6064687283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.