This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6831 / 50°40'59"N
Longitude: -1.1605 / 1°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 459402
OS Northings: 87390
OS Grid: SZ594873
Mapcode National: GBR 9D7.1DJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 87G8.FPV
Entry Name: Coach House
Listing Date: 14 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310145
Location: Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Brading
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Brading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ58NE WEST LANE
1352-0/1/112 Coach House
Former stabling and coach house, now house. Early C19
attributed to John Nash. Built around 3 sides of a courtyard.
Red brick in English bond with some vitrified bricks on stone
rubble base. Slate roof 2 storeys. Central pediment with
oculus and round-headed doorcase to ground floor. Internal
courtyard has blank oculi to 1st floor and round-headed
arches. Ends have pedimented gables with lunettes and casement
windows under round-headed arches. North-west front has wooden
open pedimented doorcase with fanlight and 6-fielded panelled
door. Cobbled stone forecourt which displays the Brading Town
Gun, a C16 bronze gun on a probable C19 wooden gun carriage.
The gun is inscribed "JOHN AND ROBERT OWINE BRETHRIN MADE THIS
PESE 1549" It was housed in the gun shed in Brading churchyard
(see item 6/81). It was last fired at the time of the passing
of the Reform Act of 1832 when it cracked.
Listing NGR: SZ5940287390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings