This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4767 / 52°28'35"N
Longitude: -1.8984 / 1°53'54"W
OS Eastings: 406995
OS Northings: 286530
OS Grid: SP069865
Mapcode National: GBR 60B.Q2
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.10QQ
Entry Name: The Old Repertory Theatre
Listing Date: 5 April 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409852
Location: Birmingham, B5
Metropolitan District Ward: Ladywood
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Martin-in-the-Bull-Ring
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
The following building shall be included: STATION STREET
1. The Old Repertory Theatre
SP0686 NF/SP 0786 NW
3399: C4/99 34/99
Theatre. 1912-13 by S.N. Cooke for Sir Barry Jackson, small extension by same
architect 1920. Red brick with stone dressings and parapeted roof. Austere
classical style. 4 storeys. Ground floor has pair of C20 glazed
doors with pillars to sides and outer double original doors to far left and
right. Greek key pattern frieze above and projecting glass and iron canopy.
Over this is a wide quilloche frieze which acts as a base for 4 tall Ionic
pilasters slightly recessed and the outer only half revealed. Betweeen the
pilasters are 3 windows with architraves and pediments and 3 small windows
above. To either side brick walling with 2 small windows. The whole front
supports an entablature with 4 wreaths in frieze and dentilled cornice.
Further storey over has 2 panels to sides and chinese fretwork ballustrade in
centre with polygonal extension set behind. Rear facing Hinckley Street
has tall fly tower with 3 blank arches and 3-window range of 16-pane horned
sashes on 3 upper floors. Various doors, double doors and windows below.
Interior: foyer in austere classical style, slightly modified 1960's but
retainiong marble-faced piers, framed panels and modillioned cornice. Stairs
with marble dado in 2 colours and marble ballustrade top lead to stalls foyer
which also has marble dado. Further mouldings and modillion cornice as below.
The auditorium has slightly curving balcony, cross-beamed ceiling with
plaster enrichments and austere classical proscenium arch. History: the
theatre was built at a cost of £17,000 by day and night shifts in 4 months.
Jackson used his private fortune to present high quality theatre in
austere surroundings. Shaw's 'Back to Methuselah' was premiered here in 1923.
Many famous actors and actresses have been members of the company or have
appeared at the theatre. It was the first purpose-built repertory theatre in
Listing NGR: SP0699586530
Other nearby listed buildings