History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lyminster and Crossbush, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8475 / 50°50'50"N

Longitude: -0.5458 / 0°32'44"W

OS Eastings: 502474

OS Northings: 106337

OS Grid: TQ024063

Mapcode National: GBR GKK.T02

Mapcode Global: FRA 96RV.M73

Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 October 1954

Last Amended: 20 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034405

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297950

Location: Lyminster and Crossbush, Arun, West Sussex, BN18

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Lyminster and Crossbush

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lyminster St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Arundel

Listing Text

TQ 00 NW LYMINSTER ARUNDEL ROAD,
9/190 CROSSBUSH
12.10.54
Priory Farmhouse
[formerly
listed as Priory
Farmhouse
(incorporating remains
of Calcetto Priory)]

II*


Queen Adelisa, the widow of Henry I, who married as her second husband William de
Albini, Earl of Arundel, founded a small house here for Augustinian Canons at some
time before 1151. It was dedicated to St Bartholomew and was known as the Priory de
Calceto or of the Causeway. It was suppressed by Cardinal Wolsey in 1524. Of the
buildings, a portion of a square tower remains, which is now a farmhouse of which the
name is spelled Calcetto with two "ts". Square C13 building of stone rubble and
flints with red brick with dressings and 2 stone buttresses on the south west side.
Pyramidal tiled roof. Casement windows. 3 s, 3 w. On the south east a modern addition
of 2 s, and 1 w has been made and on the north west a similar addition of 1 s with a
penthouse roof.


Listing NGR: TQ0247406337

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.