History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glebe House and Wall Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Mersham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1224 / 51°7'20"N

Longitude: 0.9332 / 0°55'59"E

OS Eastings: 605359

OS Northings: 139994

OS Grid: TR053399

Mapcode National: GBR SYH.GS0

Mapcode Global: VHKKW.415W

Entry Name: Glebe House and Wall Attached

Listing Date: 27 November 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034444

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409688

Location: Mersham, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Mersham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Willesborough

Listing Text

TR 04 SE & TR 03 NE MERSHAM THE STREET
(west side)


4&7/170 Glebe House
27.11.57 and wall
attached


GV II

House. C16, early C18 and late C19. Timber framed and clad with
render and applied frame, and extended with red and blue chequered
brick in English bond. Plain tiled roofs. The framed building now
forms a relatively small adjunct to the main building, is of 2 storeys,
with half-hipped roof. 1 wooden casement on each floor, and boarded
door to left. Main range early C18. Three storeys and basement on
plinth, with blue brick strips and quoins, to hipped roof with stacks
to left and to right. Five glazing bar sashes on 2nd floor, 5
segmentally headed sashes on 1st floor and 2 sashes, and 4 glazing
bar sashes on ground floor, that to end right in single storey
contemporary outshot. Sunk panels between three storeys, and gauged
heads with flying cornices to all openings. Basement opening to right.
Half-glazed door to left with side lights and semi-circular fanlight
in glazed C19 corridor/porch. Later brickwork to left return (not
bonded to front elevation). Large C19 hipped wing to rear. Wall to
left (south), about 6 feet high, red brick on ragstone plinth, with
coping, and boarded gateway. Extends some 30 yards, and returned
to north-west. Formerly the Rector's house (Hasted, VII) or vicarage
(Igglesden, 13).


Listing NGR: TR0535939994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.