This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4743 / 52°28'27"N
Longitude: -1.8972 / 1°53'49"W
OS Eastings: 407078
OS Northings: 286272
OS Grid: SP070862
Mapcode National: GBR 60B.ZW
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.22CH
Entry Name: Numbers 1, 2 and 3 Attached to Rear numbers 55 to 63 (Odd) and Attached Wall and Outhouses
Listing Date: 2 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409772
Location: Birmingham, B5
Metropolitan District Ward: Nechells
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Martin-in-the-Bull-Ring
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
The following shall be included in the list:
SP 08 NE
Nos 50, 52, and 54 and
Nos 1, 2 & 3 attached
Includes Nos 55-63 (odd) Hurst Street and attached wall and outhouses. Shops,
offices and flats, originally forming court of houses, 1789 with C19 and C20
alterations. Red brick, part painted and in small part rendered with Welsh slate
roof, hipped to corner, and brick ridge stacks. 3 storeys. Front to Inge Street
a 4-window range of, from left, a C19 canted bay, 16-pane sash, 6-pane sash, and
16 pane sash. On 2nd floor, blank to left, then three 8-pane sashes and a small
2-light casement. C20 shop fronts to ground floor with C20 window and door to far
right. In centre an arched alley entrance with cast-iron plaque above inscribed
'Court 15'. Brick dentilled eaves. To rear a 3-window range of 6-pane sash, 16-pane
sash, and 4-pane sash. C20 window , 8-pane sash and 6-pane sash to 2nd floor.
Ground floor has doorways, a blocked window (formerly bay) and 2 canted bay windows
on wooden brackets, with sashes, the upper lights of which have glazing bars
forming diamonds. Front to Hurst Street a 5-window range of, from left, a C20 wood
cross window, 16-pane sash 16 pane sash 4-pane sash, 16-pane sash, these last under cambered
moulded stucco arches, the others under brick cambered arches. On 2nd floor are
2-light casement, two 8-pane sashes and 2-light casements. C20, shop fronts to
ground floor. Brick dentilled eaves. Rear is blank but for small window and
archway. Extending from rear of Hurst Street range a high brick wall with lean-to
outhouses/privies. Interiors: No 1 (rear) has staircase with small section of
Chinese fretwork balustrade (rest not visible) and fireplace (blocked) with
dentilled cornice above. No 61/63 Hurst Street has 2 winder stairs and original
room divisions and doorways though rooms now interconnecting. No 55 Hurst Street
has winder stair. Other lst floor interiors not inspected. Known as Court No 15
and reputed to be the last remaining example of back-to-back housing in the city.
Information from Birmingham City Council referring to 1789 lease 198A between
air Thomas Gooch and John Willmore,Rate Levy Book (1823-7) Court 15, Inge St.,
and C W Chalklin: The Provincial Towns of Georgian England: 1974: plate 7).
Listing NGR: SP0707886272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings