This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.702 / 50°42'7"N
Longitude: -1.2956 / 1°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 449843
OS Northings: 89391
OS Grid: SZ498893
Mapcode National: GBR 8BB.WT7
Mapcode Global: FRA 8757.32P
Entry Name: St Cross Mill
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409778
Location: Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Newport
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Newport St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
ST CROSS LANE (WEST)
St Cross Mill
SZ 4989 SE
WATER MILL: Early C19. Red brick with a blue headers in English bond. Welsh
slate roof. One gable has been rebuilt in stretcher bond. Three storeys. The
ground floor has two cambered headed windows and a doorway with plain timber jambs
and lintels. First and second floor each have three light, 12 pane casements with
timber mullion. Returns of two windows with a cast iron small paned window in
the rebuilt gable. Single storey wing to left rather altered but appears to be
a portion of an earlier mill. Later extension of no special interest to rear.
Interior: timber construction with three chamfered cross beams at each level.
Iron breast shot wheel with all paddles gone. Great spun wheel, iron vertical
drive with wallower and double crown wheel both with wooden teeth but all milling
machinery gone. Top floor has corn bins and principal raftered roof with
staggered purlins, the main members chamfered. History: extent leases indicate
a major change of ownership in 1810 which may be the date of the main building
and in 1876-8 when it was sold by Winchester College and this may date the
remaining machinery. An almost complete original structure from the early C19
with some late C19 machinery. Basement has several courses of stone which may
date back to the monastic mill.
Listing NGR: SZ4984689402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings