History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartshill Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hartshill, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5494 / 52°32'57"N

Longitude: -1.5148 / 1°30'53"W

OS Eastings: 432998

OS Northings: 294731

OS Grid: SP329947

Mapcode National: GBR 6KG.1W5

Mapcode Global: VHBWC.P5KY

Entry Name: Hartshill Grange

Listing Date: 25 November 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309191

Location: Hartshill, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV10

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Hartshill

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Hartshill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Atherstone

Listing Text

HARTSHILL GRANGE ROAD
SP39SW (South-east side)
5/98 Hartshill Grange
25/11/69
GV II*
House. Early C16 with later C16 rear wing and C17 additions; alterations dated
1712; small projecting wing probably added early C18; later alterations. Timber
framed, mostly of close studding with rendered infill; some rebuilding in
rendered brick. Old plain-tile roofs. Large external, internal and other brick
stacks. Complex plan of 3 parallel ranges. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range.
Jettied porch of one storey and attic has shaped brackets. Late C20 plank door,
but encasing the original door. First floor has tension braces and 3-light
casement. C17 addition to right, flush with porch, has exposed small framing.
Rendered gabled first floor has 2-light casement under segmental arch. Main
range has large full-width wood mullioned window, probably C20, with central
transom. 4-light casement above. Small rendered projecting wing attached to left
corner has string course and narrow external stack; right return side has
fragments of timber framing. Left return side of the house has twin gable ranges
on left. Left range is rendered; C20 glazed door. Adjoining range has cellar
door. Very large external stack to right has sandstone plinth, quoins and
offsets, and brick dog-tooth cornice and shaft. Left return side has a fire
window. Small gabled wing to right has canted bay with C20 casement to ground
floor. Irregular fenestration throughout. Right return side of the house has
exposed corner post and 3-light casement. Rendered 2-bay range of 2 storeys and
attic has twin gables with brick-coped gable parapets and parapets between and
to left and right. Internal stack of diagonally-set square shafts with cornices
between the gables. Painted rainwater head has inscription NNS 1712 in relief.
Ground floor has large windows, probably C20, with central transom, of 4 lights
to left and 6 lights to right; upper floors have 3-light casements. Jettied
2-storey range on right is of small framing. Casements of 3 lights to ground
floor, and 2 lights above. Interior: porch opens into full-width hall, with a
floor possibly inserted later. Wide open fireplace has chamfered stone jambs and
large bressumer. Ogee-stop-chamfered ceiling beam. Room beyond it has chamfered
stone shallow Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded spandrels, and C16/C17
panelling. Room to rear has partly moulded ceiling beam. C16/C17 dog-leg
staircase. Upper floors have some exposed posts and framing, and chamfered
beams. Wide floor boards. Queen strut through-purlin roofs. Some C16/C17
eight-panelled doors throughout the house. The house is built on land which once
belonged to Merevale Abbey, and was granted to Sir William Devereux in 1540. It
was later the property of the Earl of Essex. The Quaker philanthropist Nathaniel
Newton lived at Hartshill Grange in the late C17 and early C18; and George Fox
visited the house. It was also the home of the Quaker Benjamin Bartlett, author
of The History and antiquities of the Parish of Manceter', 1791.
(Douglas Hickman: Warwickshire, A Shell Guide, p109; Benianin Bartlett,
'Mandnessedum Romanorum, or The History and Antiquities of the Parish of
Manceter')


Listing NGR: SP3299894731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.