History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoar Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Over Whitacre, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5249 / 52°31'29"N

Longitude: -1.6189 / 1°37'7"W

OS Eastings: 425955

OS Northings: 291954

OS Grid: SP259919

Mapcode National: GBR 5J5.RHY

Mapcode Global: VHBW9.WSJT

Entry Name: Hoar Hall

Listing Date: 23 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309056

Location: Over Whitacre, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Over Whitacre

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Nether Whitacre

Listing Text

OVER WHITACRE SANDY LANE
SP29SE (East side)
3/151 Hoar Hall
GV II*
House. 1732 with earlier origins. Red brick, Flemish bond. Hipped roof of
plain-tiles with coved wood eaves cornice. Symmetrically disposed red brick
internal stacks. Double-pile plan. Cellar, 2 storeys and attic. 3 hipped
dormers. Symmetrical 5-bay facade of C19 12-pane, recessed hung sashes under
rubbed and gauged brick arches with stone sills, painted. 2 windows are now
blind. Central doorway approached by 3 sandstone steps, segmental in plan. Plain
pilaster doorcase of wood with narrow hood. Double doors of 4 panels and
rectangular fanlight with glazing bars radiating from small central light having
reset coat of arms of E. Weston. Similar ground floor fenestration includes 2
blind windows. South-west side wall of 4 window bays. A cellar light has a
sandstone surround. 4 of the windows in this elevation have cross-frame
casements, some of which are C18. Rear wall openings in elliptical header brick
arches. The north wall has a down waterpipe with original rain water head dated
1732. Interior: Raised and fielded and bolection moulded panelling to one ground
floor room. Corner cupboard with half-round head, shaped shelves and panelled
door. Open-well staircase with curved and cantilevered landing. Open-string with
column-on-vase balusters, turned newels and toads-back rail, ramped. Cellar
lined with squared and coursed sandstone. 2 original fireplaces at first floor
and a plaster cheese floor to one attic room. The house was acquired by a member
of the Weston family in 1692 and was occupied by a member of the family until
1892. In c.1732 the house was rebuilt by E. Weston, whose coat of arms appears
in the central bars of the fanlight above the front door.
(A. Varnam: MSS)


Listing NGR: SP2595591954

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.